• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Legal question: wearing a mask while driving? (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
You could be found to be grossly negligent if you get into an accident (or even if you don't) if it obscures your vision.

But other than that it would be funny to see.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
Maybe not worth the risk?
That depends, what are you trying to achieve? By the way, how goes an Optimus Prime mask provide for good peripheral vision? And does the mask turn with your head when you turn to look at your blind spot?

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
Peripheral vision is suprisingly good but not the best. Helmet stays centered fine for blindspot checks, I don't think it would actually impair driving but I think if you were in an accident - for unrelated reasons - you'd be screwed. Helmet in action:

Is there some RTA law that says you cant? To aid in identification or similar?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
It would be very hard to argue that your vision isn't significantly obscured with a mask like that.

Are you girl?

Why do you want to wear an Optimus Prime mask while driving? Are you going to be driving to a fancy dress party?
Btw, identification for what?

breed obsession
HSC
Nopers I'm a guy, pics from my american inspiration.

RogueAcademic said:
Why do you want to wear an Optimus Prime mask while driving? Are you going to be driving to a fancy dress party?
Btw, identification for what?
That's why it's not worth the risk, I don't have any reason other than making people go "OMG WTF" when they drive past // when I get drive through food. And it would be a cool novelty. I'd only do it once but if you got in legal trouble for it or damaged your car or whatever it's not worth it.

By aiding identification I mean if you got photo'd speeding or similar. Does your face need to be visible when driving?

breed obsession
HSC
JFK said:
Fucking cool mask.

Just put it on before you go through the drive-through.

And when you pull up to lights.

etc.
Mine arrived earlier today and then I saw the video and was like "must do".

I like JFK's idea, but are the police likely to see some guy in a stationary car wearing an optimus helmet and get angry? Do the new p plate laws include zero tolerance for wearing transformers props?

sthcross.dude said:
if you have an accident sue the makers of the mask
I don't think you'd have much luck establishing a duty of care. Wearing helmets while driving probably falls under CLA obvious risk definition.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
That's why it's not worth the risk, I don't have any reason other than making people go "OMG WTF" when they drive past // when I get drive through food. And it would be a cool novelty.
If you really want to make people look, dress up tranvestite style and drive around picking up prostitutes on the streets.

47.46.45 said:
By aiding identification I mean if you got photo'd speeding or similar. Does your face need to be visible when driving?
Faces are very seldom visible in speed camera photos. Those photos are only trying to catch your car and your registration.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
JFK said:
Just put it on before you go through the drive-through.
Some idiot with a trigger finger will be activating the silent alarm for fear of a robbery in progress.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
47.46.45 said:
I don't think you'd have much luck establishing a duty of care. Wearing helmets while driving probably falls under CLA obvious risk definition.
You're not thinking like a hot shot barrister in a class action case against the Chinese factory where the masks were imported from. Have you ever considered that the makers of the Optimus Prime mask were grossly negligent in omitting to include a warning label on the mask: "Do Not Use While Driving". Never assume that the general public are smart enough to know better.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
This is the best question ever, and should I ever become a professor in the area of tort law, I am including it on the final exam.

T

Testpilot

I've driven to a fancy dress party as one of the blues brothers. Hat and sunglasses at night. Twas interesting. I wouldn't recommend driving in a mask in case of accident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)