• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Legal studies kills me (1 Viewer)

sutd

HSC
but im out here struggling, i got my assesment for legal studies and its about family, an inclass essay probably (50 mins still not confimred) and it states:
" You will be required to complete an extended response essay question under exam conditions.
The question will be relevant to an area of the law from the above syllabus dot point: Responses to problems in family relationship"
In the syllabus there are 4 possible question under there: outline the legal processes involved in
dealing with problems in family relationships
 evaluate the effectiveness of the law in protecting victims of domestic violence
 examine the role of non-government organisations and the media in relation to family law
 evaluate the effectiveness of the law in achieving justice for parties involved in relationship breakdowns
HOW DO I STUDY FOR THIS. DO I WRITE 4 DIFFERENT ESSAYS? DO I MEMROISE 4 DIFFERENT ESSAYS?
DO I ONLY MEMORISE THE CASES? WHICH WOULD ADD UP TO 8 CASES FOR ALL OF THEM?
WHAT ABOUT LEGISALTIONS?
if you cant tell i'm going crazy and pretty much only have a week and half until then. My teacher isn't much help, ( he doesnt believe in paragraphs) and he isn't it marking it. A different school is marking it. I really struggle with memorisation but that's the only way i can write a good essay in times conditions. i also cant write an essay of the top of my head. another whole option is that they cane MAKE UP A NEW QUESTION based on these 4 questions . pls help

Last edited:

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I wouldve made lcmdi for the dot-points under "responses to problems in family relationships", so like DV, NGOs/media, divorce, and then just memorised that
Maybe write practice essays for the other syllabus dot-points coz theres only a few things they could ask, like maybe both legal/non-legal processes in dealing with DV/or family law in general, i dont think theyd specifically ask for just legal or just non-legal, the second dot-point (effectiveness of the law) is a nice one

i think i have sample essays if u want

ivyska

HSC
if it makes you feel better I also have a similar assignment for legal, (similarly screwed) i have a list of family questions for the hsc and trials that might help? also my teacher, funnily enough is the reverse of yours because we get marked down for not enough paragraphs ISNT THAT FUNNY....

sutd

HSC
if it makes you feel better I also have a similar assignment for legal, (similarly screwed) i have a list of family questions for the hsc and trials that might help? also my teacher, funnily enough is the reverse of yours because we get marked down for not enough paragraphs ISNT THAT FUNNY....
ATleast yours is marking it so yk what to excpect, my teacher is pretty much a history teacher and i have no idea what to expect for marking

sutd

HSC
I wouldve made lcmdi for the dot-points under "responses to problems in family relationships", so like DV, NGOs/media, divorce, and then just memorised that
Maybe write practice essays for the other syllabus dot-points coz theres only a few things they could ask, like maybe both legal/non-legal processes in dealing with DV/or family law in general, i dont think theyd specifically ask for just legal or just non-legal, the second dot-point (effectiveness of the law) is a nice one

i think i have sample essays if u want
whats lcmdi? also sample essays would be great thank you

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
whats lcmdi? also sample essays would be great thank you
I’ll send the essays later but lcmdi is legislation, cases, media, documents and something else I can’t remember but it’s basically all ur info u put in ur paragraphs

wildwestworm

HSC
I'm doing legal studies as well but thankfully I haven't had to write any essays under exam conditions 😭
Though what I would do if I was you is memorise legislations that are relevant to family law. Im pretty sure you don't have to write four essays, you just choose one topic. But it's always good to know legislations, it can really boost up your points and make it seem like you know what you're talking about (even if you don't😅)
You definitely should also memorise cases, especially when you talk about media. You can talk about how media sensationalises cases or spreads misinformation, or you could say the media is good for exposure and advocacy. It really depends on what stance you want to take. Again it really depends on what topic you end up choosing, and then from there you can decide what you should memorise for your assessment. I have an essay I wrote on the effectiveness of penalties in encouraging compliance with the law, it should be on my profile if you wanna check it out as an example.

Also I recommend finding famous cases as they're easier to memorise imo. Something like the Johnny Depp and Amber Heard/ Woody Allen and Mia Farrow court cases. I feel like it helps me remember better - also it's really great if you're talking about media since it was such a public case. Just an idea of what you could do 😄

If you need anymore help with a specific topic let me know I'm happy to help😌 good luck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)