• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Legality of charging to watch unrented films (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

I'm sorry to add to the 'is x illegal' questions, but I have a problem.

I know everyone's advice doesn't represent their or the Bos' professional advice.

I'm the Treasurer of Macquarie Uni Film Society.

Last year, myself and a group of friends took over the society and tried to bring it out of a dormant state. However, due to my huge commitments, I’ve been unable to do more than I needed to. And working with a bunch of lazy people, nothing gets done.

There is zero advertising, and hence zero returns on our ~$250 per film rental, + ~$120 theatre rental. We screen in a uni theatre. For all of you who don’t know, the film rental gives you rights to screen the film and make however much money you want. When you think about this, it’s a reasonable ask.
<o></o>
The society is the university’s second oldest, and as such has an office. The university has seemed to forgotten about its existence – I’ve heard it’s not on any plans. The office is un-rented, and is actually quite large.
<o></o>
Instead of marketing (chalking, postering, lecture bashing, updating the website), my work mates have come up with a plan to make money. They want to put up a projector/screen in the office and show downloaded / hired films in the office.
<o></o>
Just to clarify, they don’t want to pay the ordinary film rental, as well as the room rental. Rather than charging members at the door, the screenings will be for free. However, only members can come to ensure that everyone is paid for. The executives want to do this because then members aren’t paying for the screenings.

The current membership cost is $8, but in response to the once-off payment, the executives want to bump up the cost to $10 a year.
<o></o>
My main issues with this:
Legal: the films should legally be rented from the distributors, as we’re still making money off it. We are using university space and making money from it.
<o></o>
Moral: the university trusts the society with the space, and hasn’t ever noted its existence because of the society’s low profile. I think it’s an abuse of the space and making money from it.

I basically told them that whether it's illegal or not (I suspect it is), I don't want any part of it.

I'm not looking so much for validation, but rather a legal and moral opinion.

Thanks. :)
Rob

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: 'Legal' question.

Legally, I am fairly positive that the society should be renting the films from the video store in order to avoid Copyright infringement.

Morally, I can understand that some may not be fussed by it. While old, it currently seems to be a small society, in need of revenue. It's not like you're going to be making exorbitant amounts of money out of it.

X

xeuyrawp

MoonlightSonata said:
Legally, I am fairly positive that the society should be renting the films from the video store in order to avoid Copyright infringement.

Morally, I can understand that some may not be fussed by it. While old, it currently seems to be a small society, in need of revenue. It's not like you're going to be making exorbitant amounts of money out of it.
But doesn't the fact that the society is making money out of the screening require the proper distributed film to be bought?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

PwarYuex said:
But doesn't the fact that the society is making money out of the screening require the proper distributed film to be bought?
Say I hire a video and ten of my friends come around to my place to watch it. Legal, yes?

You could argue that the society isn't making money at all -- the membership fee is for entrance into the society, the privilege of being part of the group (which has various benefits, such as the facilitation of social gatherings), not for film screenings per se.

X

xeuyrawp

Mike Ockisard said:
everyone has their own moral values; what's the point of asking for someone else's moral opinion if you've already formed your own?
People can discuss morality, Matty. That being said, maybe you didn't see the whole 'legal' bit.

ms said:
Say I hire a video and ten of my friends come around to my place to watch it. Legal, yes?

You could argue that the society isn't making money at all -- the membership fee is for entrance into the society, the privilege of being part of the group (which has various benefits, such as the facilitation of social gatherings), not for film screenings per se.
It's true... But it still feels sus to me - the fact that it's happening on uni grounds and that the society is actually making money from it, regardless of 'when'. As I see it, nobody should make money from a privately screened film.

I just don't want to be implicated in some illegal scheme when I just didn't oppose it enough, you know?

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I think it's an unfair and uncreative use of privileges bestowed by the University. A society should be finding ways to both expand membership and improve the services it provides. This scheme appears to achieve neither; bumping up membership costs sounds like a step backwards, and only allowing members to attend screenings will make the society less attractive. For me, it smacks of bad managment. If you were on your own private property, perhaps the screening would be a different issue. But you're on University grounds, and theoretically could get the University into trouble.

santaslayer

HSC
I do think it's sus but I also do think think that there are grounds for argument. The society can , as ms pointed out, advertise that the screenings are a part of the benefits given to members. It would be a bit dodgy though, if the benefits looked like it contributed to a membership price increase.

morally, id say its wrong...

u need to be careful of the 'downloaded' films though...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad

Mmm, it's also a question of whether the film is to be "broadcast in public" or something to that effect, as it's a breach of the Copyright Act, in which case you'd need to ask permission/pay royalty to the film studio. (I don;t think it's the case here though)

X

xeuyrawp

Ok, thanks for the responses, guys. I get my chance to advocate at the meeting this Friday - hopefully these people will at least consider what I say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)