• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Lets get sophisticated!!! (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Lets throw around words to make our essays more sophisticated... ie conjunctions...phrases etc... this will help u HSC 04'ers get sophisticated b4 ur writing papers!!!

Conjunctions
Whereas - Tandis que/Alors que (dont take subjunctive)
In fact - En fait
rather than - au lieu de
evidently - Evidement
Pourvu que
ironically - Ironiquement
hopefully - Avec un peu de chance
D’ailleurs
for example - Par exemple

Phrases
To have the intension to - j'ai l'intension de + Infinative
To take advantage of an opportunity - j'ai profite de ’occasion
to be successful in an exam - je réussi * mes examens
to be prepared to study - être a prêt étudier beaucoup
to change ur mind - je change d’avais
i dont think/see that is possible - je ne vois pas qu’il soit possible
to fight like cat and dog - s'endendons comme chat de chien
to threaten to throw someone out - menacé de m’a la porte si J’ai te mettre * la porte.
its not owrth it - ça ne vaut pas la peine

vocab
lectures - les cours magistral
articulate - articuler
highschool student - lycéenne
law degree - licence en droit
lawyer - avocat(e)
court - le tribunal
holiday house - une maison de vacances
frequently - frequentment
unfashionable - démode
flares - Les pantalons a pattes d’éléphant
night club - boite de nuit

i prob have heaps more on my comp and in my book
ill add more soon

chepas

HSC
Extension does :rolleyes:.

Anyway, here's some I think of:

Conjunctions/Prepositions -
en dépit de = in spite of
bien que + subjunctive = although (that) (Bien que je le connaisse, ça ne veut pas dire qu'on s'entend bien.)
alors que = while, as (as in, Il est parti alors que j'arrivais)
lorsque = when, as (Lorsque tu es avec tes amis, tu vas fumer?)
pourvu que (as up in #1) = provided that (Je ferai la vaisselle pourvu que tu passes l'aspirateur)
tant que = as long as (tant que c'est toi, je peux respirer. Is that how the Natasha St-Pier song goes?)
pour que + subj. = so that (Je vais aller pour que tu sois seule)
quoique = although (Quoique mon Dédé, il aime le bleu hein? Joke - see Marius et Jeannette :D)

Random Vocab -
sensibilser = to make aware of (Il faut sensibiliser les gens aux problèmes sociaux de notre société) very good for 3U people talking about issues like Belong/Alienation, Tolerance...

I'm out for now :D

chepas

HSC
Yeah.

It's also about being able to suit a certain audience as well (a hangover from the English courses :mad: ). While sophistication is still important one still must bear in mind for whom one is writing. For example, the modality one would use in an article for the school paper is very different to what one would use in a series of emails to a friend. So the versatility is important. From sophisticated extremes to more relaxed extremes.

Syllabus Page 27 (For Part B of Section II of the Exam)
"The student will be required to exchange information in response to question, statements, comments and/or other specific items provided in the text. The task will specify a purpose, context and audience.
Syllabus Page 28 (For Section III of the Exam)
"The student will be required to respond to two tasks, graded in difficulty. The tasks will involve presentaiton of ideas and/or information and/or opinions. The tasks will require different kinds of writing: the first will be informative or descriptive and the second will be reflective, persuasive or evaluative, and could require the student to explain or justify a point of view.
For Section II part B (Reading/Responding written part), it also craps on about the objectives of the course and respective outcomes

For Section III, voila` the sophistication, hehe. But still keeping in mind it is still whatever text type it could be.

So, good luck with the learning the vocab, structures, everything! It'll be great.

OK. No more syllabus babble and fancy vB code. Is it obvious that I am trying to waste time on BOS procrastinating? :D

EDIT: I found some stuff on french.about.com about conjunctions, just did a search and there is some handy stuff there. Pass a bit of a coup d'oeil over it, see if there's something...

http://french.about.com/sitesearch.htm?terms=conjunctions&SUName=french&TopNode=4517&type=1

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)