• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Level of English (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
What level of English is needed for Uni, is band 4 in Standard English, proficient, or not

debugz

HSC
larf
with some of the english levels of current students.. in subjects of heavy reading, writing and presenting.... im sure you would be fine basic engrash

man.. you create a lot of threads

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
debugz said:
larf
with some of the english levels of current students.. in subjects of heavy reading, writing and presenting.... im sure you would be fine basic engrash

man.. you create a lot of threads
Yeah, i have a lot of questions and things to say and discuss. You have to do so much reading at uni, it sucks

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Any two units of english - esl, standard and advanced. Uni does not require you to have a certain band of english. Your english will only improve throughout uni cause of all the reading.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Korn said:
Yeah, i have a lot of questions and things to say and discuss. You have to do so much reading at uni, it sucks
think about all those international students with a lot poorer english skills. what happens to them? :uhhuh:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
theone123 said:
think about all those international students with a lot poorer english skills. what happens to them? :uhhuh:
They might have good writing skills, and be language minded capable of writing heaps

Jacks

HSC
the recommended level of english I suppose really depends on your chosen degree, some degrees may suggest advanced english, though this is not necessarily required. As a general rule, as cape says, any 2 units of english is fine...and you will improve the english skills you need as you get more practice, and come to know what uni expects of you.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
You will find that uni is basically only theory - hence why you read a hell of a lot.

Also, you will learn to critically analyse journals and readings etc, for assignments. And anyone can do this, even international students ... thats why a dictionary was invented :rolleyes:

L

LaraB

Cape said:
You will find that uni is basically only theory - hence why you read a hell of a lot.

Also, you will learn to critically analyse journals and readings etc, for assignments. And anyone can do this, even international students ... thats why a dictionary was invented :rolleyes:
lol i agree except for the last sentence..... u obviously havent read some of the law/med/maths books...u cant exactly just look up a dictionary and get what it means

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
No, I don't do law, med or maths. But they all have specific dictionary relating to their field. But meh, as long as you can read and structure essays and reports, your pretty much fine.

klh

HSC
how the hell do you critically analyse?
i hate british/american texts...the words are all different.
i cant even answer the question for my h/w, i cant do anything.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I dunno ... but your right about the america stuff. I had it how words have z in them, like industrization ... I can't stand it.

Wait, that academic writing workshop booklet should have how you critically analyse in it.

klh

HSC
my problem right now is i cant answer a question.
these questions, what the do they mean?
like 'what are the considerations for global marketing'
then there is ' what are the considerations for developing a global brand?
i reckon they are sort of similar, and considerations...what does that mean i should do? the factors?
so frustrating.
thanks for letting me get this out.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I really wish I could help you, but I have no idea :confused: Have you tried google ... i have done 3/4 of my geology prac through google today :uhhuh:

and i'm still on the stupid prac ... argh! Its boring and the questions are so stupid :mad:

klh

HSC
i thought i could at least transition into 2nd year since my first year was ok....so much reading and un-australian unfamiliar words. bah ill just turn up and say my dog ate it and show him the remains of what was my half assed answering of the question.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
My introductory to earth sciences subject is so much harder than any of the other 200 subjects that i'm doing - earth sciences is only level 100 ... argh! I'm so screwed :mad: i don't understand a single word ... no matter how many times I read the textbooks. Stupid minerals :(

klh

HSC
im blaming half towards tv becoz i was watching davis cup/gp and half to my blank mind...unfortuantely the internet isnt a real helper for ym subject.
and i have more readings....6 readings to get through and after them more for next week.
this is really enjoyable...im eating my owrds when i said i liked starting uni again.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I blame the tv as well ... was watching the gp all day - not good. And sitting on here isn't helping much either. maybe in a few weeks I might have learnt my lesson again, but I'm just not in the study mood this year. I just wanna watch tv.

klh

HSC
yeah me too...too many good programs on. and i wasted my saturday coz of star wars..i mean i cant deny that. as much as i promise myself that i will change, i wont until its near finals.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I have spent 20 hours during the past 3 days watching the gp ... and ofcourse I had to watch star wars and I needed to sleep after a tiring week at uni. Now I kinda wished that I did the work on tuesday afternoon. Plus, I'm eating too many chupa chups :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)