Liberal Studies vs BSc/BA (1 Viewer)

lm1122

HSC
Umm... this may sound stupid but what are the differences between the Liberal Studies degree and the BSc/BA degree. As far as i can gather, they both combine Science and Arts majors, but B Lib Studies is only 4 yrs as opposed to the 5 yr BSc/BA course. Briefly, how do they really differ? Thanks.

Generator

HSC
N/A
In the Liberal Studies degree you have to study a language and you will leave uni with only the one degree. In the BSc/BA there is no language requirement and you eventually graduate with two degrees.

A plus for the BSc/BA is that it can easily be dropped down to a regular BSc if that tickles your pickle.

jnothman

dismember
HSC
the uni doesn't offer both courses because one is better than the other.

What do you want to do?

BSc/BA will give you two degrees, that means TWO majors.
Liberal studies gives you one degree (is it a BA or a BLibStudies?) and has other requirements, like some amount of sociology is required if i remember correctly...

Look at the courses' respective handbooks on the sydney uni web site, and see what the difference is in detail in terms of the course.

It's up to what you want to do.

pri

HSC
N/A
Libstudies has 2 majors too, an arts major and a science major, plus maths (12 cp) and 2 years of a language

I would soooo do it, but it seems like a watered down arts/science to me.

edit: actually Im more worried about how employers approach such a degree

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
It only requires 6 credit points of maths or statistics, and there is a mandatory english unit, I believe (some sort of writing unit, anyway).

Employers would approach in the same way that they approach most degrees... Not every degree directs you into a certain field, and I would be suprised if everyone taking a, say, BCST went and became a computer technician of some sort. A degree tends to allow you to develop your generic analytical skills as much as the specified vocational skills (if they exist), so it is basically dependent upon you and your results as to whether a degree is valued by the employer or not.

That's actually the official line of the Arts faculty (if my memory isn't playing tricks), and I have also heard it from a few social science lecturers, too.

Edit (again): I'm taking a BSc/BA.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Basically, whatever can be studied in a regular bsc or ba can be completed within a bsc/ba.

emily

what do you guys reckon bout lib studies international?

does anyone know anyone who is actually doing the course and likes/dislikes it, or has anything to say about it? :)

i'm pretty sure that's what i'll end up doing, international if i get 98.8 normal if i don't, it just seems nice and broad, a really good base that will allow you to decide what you actually do want to do with your life,

apparently american unis really like it if you want to do a post grad there because it's a bit like college

all in all sounds great, but i'm still unsure!

Generator

HSC
N/A
The only difference between that and a regular liberal studies degree is the international study component (and the need for a credit average, I think?), so if you have the money, then why not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)