• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Liberal Studies (1 Viewer)

D

doiyoubi

Hey, I'm not sure how to categorise liberal studies to under which sub-forum so I posted it here.

Can someone please give me a run down on a Bachelor of liberal studies course, I've been to the actual course site but just some questions I would like to ask.

Looking at the table of subjects
http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/liberal_ov.shtmlhttp://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/current_students/undergrad/pathways/liberal_advancd_ov.shtml
It says, arts major, art (language), science major. But the third column I'm not sure what it means? Does it mean a subject from the language units?

Also since it says an arts major then arts (language) does that mean I have to take two subjects from the language units, let's say japanese?

Thanks

Also am I also able to major in a mathematics degree, as well as language and science? Last thing :p I read somewhere and it said, you must study "communication skills" what does this refer to?

thanks~

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
It says, arts major, art (language), science major. But the third column I'm not sure what it means? Does it mean a subject from the language units?

It means you have to choose from one of the three subjects that are listed.

Also since it says an arts major then arts (language) does that mean I have to take two subjects from the language units, let's say japanese?

No, it means you take one non-language arts major, whilst also undertaking one language course.

Also am I also able to major in a mathematics degree, as well as language and science? Last thing I read somewhere and it said, you must study "communication skills" what does this refer to?

Well it is compulsory you complete one science major (maths) and one arts major (whatever you want). Then you also have enough elective units to complete a language major if you want.
Communication skills is a liberal studies specific course that is fucking easy and just goes over basic language and structural forms within communications and english.

veridis

droog
HSC
"No, it means you take one non-language arts major, whilst also undertaking one language course. "
well actualy the language can be your arts major, but most people do the language as well as another arts major (eg i'm donig hist and germ, a mates doing phil and latin) but some do 2 languages (i know of people doing germ/french, germ/jap).

"Communication skills is a liberal studies specific course that is fucking easy and just goes over basic language and structural forms within communications and english"
the communication skills refers to doing 1 of 3 or 4 units of study in the english or linguistics schools. most people do this first semester and most people do the same one so it often seems like a LS course even though it isnt and there are options.

so for most people sem 1 LS is 1 unit science major, 1 unit arts major, 1 unit language and 1 unit engl/ling.

edit - oh and the compulsary engl/lngs can also be part of your arts major if you do engl or lngs(obviously) so theres another way you might get extra electives

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)