Linear vs quadratic drag limiting displacement

kurenaishu07

HSC
Why does a surface with resistive force mkv^2 have displacement given by x = 1/k(ln(1+ukt)), hence divering, whereas a surface with resistive force mkv has displacement x = u/k((1-e^-kt)), and converges to x = u/k. Is this because the quadratic drag model is incorrect?

liamkk112

HSC
Why does a surface with resistive force mkv^2 have displacement given by x = 1/k(ln(1+ukt)), hence divering, whereas a surface with resistive force mkv has displacement x = u/k((1-e^-kt)), and converges to x = u/k. Is this because the quadratic drag model is incorrect?
yes. truthfully for a true quadratic drag model, you need to consider both linear and quadratic drag forces, the quadratic drag model is an approximation that works well for small velocities essentially. but as you can imagine this makes it much harder to solve (idek if there’s an analytic solution, i forget now, it’s in taylor’s classical mechanics textbook which i skimmed a while back)

kurenaishu07

HSC
Would i be required to know the correct quadratic drag model for hsc, or is it sufficient to know the one involving mkv^2, (carrotsticks textbook covers the correct drag model but has only 1 question on it).

liamkk112

HSC
Would i be required to know the correct quadratic drag model for hsc, or is it sufficient to know the one involving mkv^2, (carrotsticks textbook covers the correct drag model but has only 1 question on it).
nah definetly not, its out of syllabus

kurenaishu07

HSC
There has been 1 question in the hsc that requires the correct model in new syllabus (HSC 2022 4u)
1721093715188.png
Would this not imply that they can test it?

liamkk112

HSC
1721094205114.png
this would be the "correct" model that much more accurately models the motion of a projectile experiencing a resistive drag force

kurenaishu07

HSC
Sorry let me reword, you cannot do this question using mkv^2, for this question the resistive force would be (mod(sdot))^2 X unit velocity vector, which simplifies into B which is the same as taylors quadratic drag equations --> 1721094584101.png

liamkk112

HSC
Sorry let me reword, you cannot do this question using mkv^2, for this question the resistive force would be (mod(sdot))^2 X unit velocity vector, which simplifies into B which is the same as taylors quadratic drag equations --> View attachment 43641
to clarify - both the quadratic drag and linear drag models, on their own, are firmly in syllabus.
1721094696960.png
however both combined, is not. quadratic drag appears to go to infinity, because it fails to consider other forces such as linear drag (and/or friction or other resistive forces) that would bring the object to rest; so when considering projectiles where friction isn't a thing, if you want an accurate model that considers quadratic drag, you have to include the linear term too

kurenaishu07

HSC
to clarify - both the quadratic drag and linear drag models, on their own, are firmly in syllabus.
View attachment 43642
however both combined, is not. quadratic drag appears to go to infinity, because it fails to consider other forces such as linear drag (and/or friction or other resistive forces) that would bring the object to rest; so when considering projectiles where friction isn't a thing, if you want an accurate model that considers quadratic drag, you have to include the linear term too
okay that makes alot more sense, thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)