• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

links to advanced and ext 1 courses (1 Viewer)

sweetish

HSC
first of all, may i just open up in saying that i totally bummed out in my viva voce *tear*
id appreciate if i could get how YOU linked ur short story to our other courses (especially ext 1 which was a bugger for me coz i dno how to link to genre)

any help would be greatly 'ppreciated

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
I also did genre. Basically what they are looking for is the ability to apply concepts from one field to another. My genre was crime fiction and my short story was a historical fiction set in 18th century Japan. I liked the two by saying how genre was manipulated, I don’t know what genre your studying, but in Crime fiction The big sleep is a subverted version of a film noir, and my story was a subverted version of short story, historical fiction etc. The concept that will link the two is that “short story” it’s self is a genre as it has its own hallmarks, qualities and so forth, being able to manipulate or adhere to these qualities is how it links to your study of genre because you learn how malleable a genre can be.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Essentially its easier to search for links in your finished(or nearly so) work, than to contrive links in your story. This is especially true when linking with Advanced, as the course is just so general that you can most likely find a link somewhere in your work with it[eg we all transform and borrow ideas, we all meddle with context to influence meaning, and you can stretch the concept of journeys a long, long way]. You'll also have found that most of the basic ideas of the Extension 1 course will have relevance - for instance I did a story on the fairy tale sub genre while having studied crime fiction and I was able to discuss how my basic understanding of genre theory was relevant to my construction of the major work.

HinikuTheNinja

one helluva naughty ninja
HSC
Mine were Individuals in society and physical journeys. I kind of link it to all my characters - each of the characters are individuals, like my cowardly, unpatriotic Japanese soldier. At the same time, I also link them through the styles I'm writing, such as appropriating the sexual inneundo of 'Meeting at Night' by Browning and the ideas of 'Lady of Shalott' for one of my stories.

blyss

HSC
im doing speculative fiction and imaginative journey..so far the only way i could think of linking that to my story, which is a postmodernist piece was to say that it inspires the responder to go on an imaginative journey through folowing the stories of what happens to the individual characters..n when they tell me thats not gonna work ill say somethin bout the characters going on imaginative journeys through opening up their minds to new possiblities or something..i know it all sounds like a big load of crap but then again crap pretty much defines imaginative journeys as an area of study

renton

HSC
little off the topic, but was jsut wondering which writers everyone's major works have been influenced by, like in terms style, subject matter and the such.

p.s. who like chuck norris jokes....

Chuck norris' year goes from March 31st to April 2nd............nobody fools chuck norris

HSC
N/A
^ Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting, because that implies failure. He goes killing instead.

Chuck Norris actually died 10 years ago but death hasn't worked up the courage to tell him yet :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)