• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

List of electives? (1 Viewer)

falconhawk50

HSC
I dont understand where to find a list of electives on the Usyd website. I will be in my first year, so does that mean i can only chose "junior" subjects from other majors, even though I wont be majoring in that subject? Where the f**k are the electives dammit it only talks about majors. Btw im doing B Economics with major in eco (dah) and finance..
Cheers in advance :headbang:

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
Just google your school's website, click on the undergraduates link > current students > units of study. Since you're a first year, here's the link to the units of study page for economics and business: http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/74.html

Also as you are in your first year, you only get to do junior subjects because they usually set up foundations for the snr classes you'll be taking in 2nd, 3rd etc years. You can pick any of the jnr classes as you please, however since you want to "major in eco (dah) and finance" it's best to choose the classes with those in mind (I can't recommend any since I don't even do economics but you get the idea.)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
If you want to double major, I don't think you can do any electives.

lou071

HSC
N/A
wondering if the credit point of the subject tells the degree of difficulties. so for example, if the subject's credit point is 6, does this mean that it is harder than subject which the credit point is 3?

cxlxoxk

HSC
wondering if the credit point of the subject tells the degree of difficulties. so for example, if the subject's credit point is 6, does this mean that it is harder than subject which the credit point is 3?
i would think so?

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
lou071 said:
i would think so?
You only need to know how many credit points a class is worth so that you can satisfy the amounts of points you need to complete in a year.

For example, in an Arts degree you need at least 48 CP to complete the year. That means you can take 4 classes per semester worth 6CP. (4 x 6 = 24, then 24 x 2 for 2 semesters a year gives you 48CP/year).

Math classes are worth 3CP, meaning instead of only taking one maths class, you have to take two to equal the normal amount of CP. So if you're taking a maths class, you'd have to take two math classes a semester plus three other classes worth 6CP each. (So your math classes are: 2 x 3 = 6CP, and your other classes are: 3 x 6CP = 18, adding them up all together makes 24CP a semester).

Hopefully that makes sense to you cupcakes. If not, I'll leave it up to some more eloquent to explain. Don't forget to check how many credit points you've got for the year though. Or else you might fail. :)

If you want to know how hard a particular class is, I think it's best just to download the subject reviews pdf in the other thread and read pass other people's opinion on the class. No guarantees though!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)