• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Locus and Roots/Coefficient Problem (1 Viewer)

rama_v

HSC
Hi Guys
I came across two problems I couldn't do, any help in solving them would be appreciated:

1) By using the perpendicular distance formula, find the locus of a point P(x,y) which is equidistant from the lines 3x + 4y =36 and 4x + 3y=24

2) If one zero of the function y=x^2 +mx +n is the square of the other, without finding the zeroes, prove that m^3 = n(3m - n -1)

Thanks

FinalFantasy

HSC
"2) If one zero of the function y=x^2 +mx +n is the square of the other, without finding the zeroes, prove that m^3 = n(3m - n -1)"
let zero's be A and B
A²=B
A+B=-m ------>(1)
AB=n--------->(2)

(1) A+A²=-m
(2) A³=n
-m³=(A(1+A))³=A³(1+3A+3A²+A³)=n(1+3A+3A²+n)=n(1+3(-m-B)+3(B)+n)
=n(1-3m-3B+3B+n)=n(1-3m+n)
therefore m³=-n(1-3m+n)=n(3m-n-1)

for da first one i forgot da formula, but just use it for each line and equate them den u should get da equation

FinalFantasy

HSC
coool, btw wat was the formula u used for da first question lol

i seriously forgot it..

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys
I came across two problems I couldn't do, any help in solving them would be appreciated:

1) By using the perpendicular distance formula, find the locus of a point P(x,y) which is equidistant from the lines 3x + 4y =36 and 4x + 3y=24

2) If one zero of the function y=x^2 +mx +n is the square of the other, without finding the zeroes, prove that m^3 = n(3m - n -1)

Thanks
Here is my solution to Q1.

Part (b) asks us to draw 4 equations

From part (a) I assume that we only have to draw in the 2 equations instead of the 4, as 2 of them are identical? Could someone confirm.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)