• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Log laws (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
If logea - logeb = loge(a/b), why isn't loge12 - loge4 the same value on the calculator as loge(12/4)?

Flop21

HSC
It is the same value...
If so, maybe OP is using the 'log' button on the calculator. You need to use "ln" with logs involving "e" as their base. 'log' button is only for logs with 10 as their base.

Ekman

HSC
If so, maybe OP is using the 'log' button on the calculator. You need to use "ln" with logs involving "e" as their base. 'log' button is only for logs with 10 as their base.
That wouldn't make a difference, because it doesn't really matter what the base is, the log rule as the OP stated still applies no matter the base is

psyc1011

#truth
HSC
That wouldn't make a difference, because it doesn't really matter what the base is, the log rule as the OP stated still applies no matter the base is
OP could have done log(12) - log(4) = ln(3) on the calc

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I don't know how I got different values... oh well, problem solved haha

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I don't know how I got different values... oh well, problem solved haha
Lol how is it problem solved if you didn't manage to find out why you were getting different values? Or did you manage to find out? Was it just a calculator typo? What were the values you were getting? Maybe we can deduce what you were typing in to get those values.

Flop21

HSC
It was probably just a silly mistake / calculator typo. I've done that many times where I get the wrong answer after putting it in the calculator, ask here, then can't figure out how I was getting the wrong answer in the first place lol.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Lol how is it problem solved if you didn't manage to find out why you were getting different values? Or did you manage to find out? Was it just a calculator typo? What were the values you were getting? Maybe we can deduce what you were typing in to get those values.
I probably done a mistake while entering the numbers onto the calculator, I honestly don't remember how I was getting different values though, if I come across the same problem again I'll see what I'm doing wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)