• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Looking at becoming a quant (1 Viewer)

RuNZ

HSC
Hi there,

I currently have a first class honours in electrical engineering, and graduated top of my class. 2 years out of uni with some EE based work experience including modelling in different languages (C#,matlab,python,R,Excel,VHDL-AMS) for different purposes in EE using a wide range of maths. No formal finance background.

Looking to switch to a research based quant role as apposed to a support role (don't want to do straight C++ implementation, I want to come up with the algorithms). Don't really have any more specific desires other than to be using and improving my stats/math/modelling skills in a high expectations field with qualified peers.

My questions are:

What are my current career prospects?
Would a masters in FE/FM/QF help?
Is the UNSW MF course any good? http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/master-financial-mathematics
Main attraction for me is the 5pm-8pm course times so that I can work during the day.

Current plan is to move to Sydney in the new year, continue to apply for jobs, enroll in the above course and hit the books in the mean time (picking up on my python/R/C++ skills and learning some of the ropes - ARMA/GARCH/Bayesian etc. etc.)

Any general information/advice/links you would like to give would be great also.

Cheers,
Rupert

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I can't claim to speak with any authority, but anecdotally I believe quants are in high demand atm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)