• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

looking at my assessment (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
hi.. im in yr 11 btw =/
anyone

wondering if i were to post up my 500 word assessment -> would anyone care to just quickly read and give some feedback?

the assessment is
1) changing fairytale into a modern context
2) changing a section of The Great Gatsby into a modern context

ive done a draft for the first q.. and i think it sucks bad.. but would like some opinions..

thanks

felafel

oh id want to help you, but sorry, I didnt pay any attention in class during year 11, so I wouldnt be much help!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i have a friend doing fairytale/modern context typr of thing for ee2. and i know a fair bit about gatsby...post it as an attachement and ill read it.

HSC
N/A
Sure! Post away- I didn't do any of the Angela Carter stuff but I did do Gatsby, and a lot of my friends did Angela Carter so post away and let's have a look at what you got :)

Best wishes!

stargaze

HSC
wow ok

positive responses =)

its just a draft.. took me about 30-45mins

i think it sux.. no joke... its definetly nowhere near the final copy so ill post them as i get further to a decent one =)

thanks

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
its not too bad though its abit short and no where near as complex as it should be. keep working on it and it should get better

Ziff

HSC
N/A
One more thing, some teachers are pedantic about this, it's about the way you set out your text.

For narratives if you include speech you have to go to the next line afterwards e.g.

Mr Jones walked down the street and went into Ted's Beer Shop. The smell of hops and barley eminating from the shop engulfed the entire town and was a most popular place to sit and relax.
"Good morning Mr Jones!", exclaimed Ted.
"Good morning Ted!", replied Mr Jones.

Though some teachers don't care...

HSC
N/A
Something to add-

when you're writing in a specific genre it's a good idea to read books of a similar genre to gain a feel for what you should be doing. Read other transformations- note the detail, transition, flow, pace, etc etc.

In terms of plot, your story seems to me a bit too predictable, or perhaps you want to jazz it up a bit using fragmentation. I'm also not really 'feeling' anything, as if you flow from one thing to another. This is ok but not if all 'events' feel the same- which they do. Give each one a different flavour.

Writing in first person allows you to use introspection to gain an inisight about what you/your character is feeling, thinking. Use this! I want to get inside your head. Tell me something about how your characters feels, reacts. Look at your tone- it's very accepting, naive. It can be this way, but do you want it to be? Is this how your character is emotionally? How does she feel towards her mother? Is she emotionally quiet? Is she raging inside? Does she hate her mother, or have pity for her?

Look at where your storyline is going. Are you going into detail about any specific events? I'm not seeing much of this although sometimes it's done specifically for specific reasons (if you are doing this make sure you have reasons for doing so- don't do without thinking! :D). Where is your story going? Where are the important parts? Are there any minor details you feel are very important? Details, details. Preliminary studies- chronological order of events. You don't have to write down everything you know about your character and the story, just what you feel is relevant- however this will become a lot easier when YOU know every inch of the story.

Keep writing! :)

stargaze

HSC
hmm yea i thought so.. i felt it sucked when i wrote it :p

not really a good at working under a 500word limit

anyway.. kinda busy atm.. so i guess i go thru and have another one sometime this week

thanks a lot everyone =)

stargaze

HSC
ok.. i went over it

i think its better.. slightly.. not wher I want it yet..

on the other part..
i did a draft for the gatsby one.. i chose the part where Tom + Nick go to see Wilson and Myrtle.. I'm not sure if it worked or not.. but I made Tom = a low life drug dealer, Wilson = a high rolling nice guy, Myrtle = a wife who has it all but needs drugs to get by..

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
urgh. i eagerly opened the gatsby one cos i personally like that book alot. maybe im a bit of a purist cos i thought it was awful in terms of reconstruction. the only thing that converted it to today was the dialogue. so yeah, maybe i am a little biased here but i didnt like that gatsby one AT ALL

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stargaze
hi.. im in yr 11 btw =/
anyone

wondering if i were to post up my 500 word assessment -> would anyone care to just quickly read and give some feedback?

the assessment is
1) changing fairytale into a modern context
2) changing a section of The Great Gatsby into a modern context

ive done a draft for the first q.. and i think it sucks bad.. but would like some opinions..

thanks
ive just finsished reading the great gatsby for year 11 so i could help with that one

stargaze

HSC
i feel a bit suss for leeching help for everything but i'm a bit lost with this;; so thanks for bearing with me..

im in the process of trying to make a transformation of a part of gatsby.. thinking of the part where tom takes nick to meet mrytle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)