• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lost on calculations (1 Viewer)

djc91

HSC
N/A
Okay, so i just started the year 12 course, and admittedly i have not paid attention at all for the prelim course and i am COMPLETELY lost when it comes to calculations. I could not answer a SINGLE question in the yearly test paper for calculations and get all my marks from the theory side of things.

Where do i start if i want to relearn all the calculations needed for the HSC course? I want to do this before it is too late.. assuming it isnt already so..

Feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Hi there,

i am glad you realized it early because if it were later into the course you would be in deep shit.
Ask your teacher for the preliminary book and go over moments, bending moment, shear force diagrams. You will be using a lot of these in the HSC course, so you need to be thorough with them.
Get the excel book, it helped me a lot, so i might as well suggest it to you

djc91

HSC
N/A
Yeh i got 3 of the prelim textbooks still, 1 with all the calculations inside. I'll get the excel book tomorrow, does it teach you to do equations?

Thanks for your reply!

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
what sort of equations?
Well, with the technical side, it's OK, its not too indepth, but i suppose thats how much you only need to learn.
I use these books:

Excel Engineering Studies HSC
Introduction to Engineering Mechanics - R.K.Mullins
Introduction to Material Science - Schlenker
Definitive guide to Engineering Studies Vol1 & 2 - Paul L.Copeland

Along with a shit load of other handouts.

Good luck

djc91

HSC
N/A
I have all those books you listed. The Excel book does not seem to have too much info on the basics from year 11. Do you recommend me buying the prelim Excel book too? Or just learning off the Engineering Mechanics book?

How much of prelim work carries over to HSC? Because if it is only a few basic topics, i can learn them off the Engineering Mechanics book and apply them to Excel to study, cant I?

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
No, don't buy the preliminary book. The HSC excel book is good enough. Yeah just learn it of engineering mechanics and apply them.

everything is included in the excel hsc book.

djc91

HSC
N/A
Do you know approx. how many % of the marks in the HSC will be on calculations? I was told by my teacher to focus on my strong points because almost nobody will be able to know everything for it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)