• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lots of questions about essays :( (1 Viewer)

MouseTop

HSC
Hey,

I'm in Year 10 and I've got a lot of questions when it comes to writing essays in English. Uhh...here's the list:

• How many quotes per paragraph
  • How many paragraphs per idea
  • How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any other sort
  • Is paraphrasing okay?
  • How many quotes do I need to remember?
  • How do I remember quotes?
  • How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for?
  • Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes
  • How do I go from consistent C's to consistent A's

It's a long list, but I'd appreciate any help. I'm half way through Year 10 and looks like English is going to be the subject that's going to bring my ATAR down.

Cheers,
MouseTop

P.S. The book we're reading right now is Jasper Jones and I have a test on it on Friday :(

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Hey,

I'm in Year 10 and I've got a lot of questions when it comes to writing essays in English. Uhh...here's the list:

• How many quotes per paragraph
  • How many paragraphs per idea
  • How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any other sort
  • Is paraphrasing okay?
  • How many quotes do I need to remember?
  • How do I remember quotes?
  • How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for?
  • Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes
  • How do I go from consistent C's to consistent A's

It's a long list, but I'd appreciate any help. I'm half way through Year 10 and looks like English is going to be the subject that's going to bring my ATAR down.

Cheers,
MouseTop

P.S. The book we're reading right now is Jasper Jones and I have a test on it on Friday :(
1. Very subjective. But quotes should make up your evidence/textual integrity.
2. 1
3. PEEL is probably the easiest one to follow right now.
4. Paraphrasing? No you need the quote word for word usually.
5. All the quotes you use in your essay.
6. Rote learn them - read them out loud and write them down - repeat it.
7. Any interesting quotes/themes/techniques/ideas.
8. Depends on the book - but usually more sophisticted to talk about themes.
9. Practice. Practice. Practice.

MouseTop

HSC
Thanks for answering so quick! :) But, I've got a few more questions :(
1. Very subjective. But quotes should make up your evidence/textual integrity.
How am I supposed to know what themes I'm going to use? Our first practice essay required themes which were completely different from our second practice essay.
3. PEEL is probably the easiest one to follow right now.
I know what PEEL stands for. However, is this how I should structure it?

• Point
  • Evidence for Point
  • Elaborate on Evidence
  • Link Evidence & Elaboration to Point and Question
  • Repeat EEL once or twice more
  • Link Paragraph & Point to Question

4. Paraphrasing? No you need the quote word for word usually.
Argh! So much memorising!
5. All the quotes you use in your essay.
Again, how am I supposed to know what quotes I need? For example for the book I'm reading right now I've found a few themes that I think will be useful (prejudice, racism, scapegoating, resilience, comfort, and mateship). For each theme I'm trying to find 3-5 quotes. Is that what I should be doing?

Also, another question that just popped up. If I'm exploring a theme i.e. Racism, is it enough if I have say 3 quotes on theme, but they're all about one character. Or, should I talk about more than one character?

Cheers,
MouseTop

Last edited:

jjuunnee

HSC
How many quotes per paragraph? Definitely at least three I think. Better ask your teacher
How many paragraphs per idea? 1
How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any sort? T: topic sentence, where you introduce your idea. E: evidence, so quotes and stuff. E: explanation: how your evidence is significant L: link to idea
Is paraphrasing okay? Better to quote words directly
How many quotes do I need to remember? All the quotes you need for each body paragraph
How do I remember quotes? Read over them heaps, get friends and family to test you idk
How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for? Literary techniques and quotes that relate to your idea
Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes? You can talk about characters as long as there's some sort of conceptual idea or theme
How do I go from consistent C's to consistent As? Do heaps of practise tests under exam conditions

MouseTop

HSC
How many quotes per paragraph? Definitely at least three I think. Better ask your teacher
How many paragraphs per idea? 1
How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any sort? T: topic sentence, where you introduce your idea. E: evidence, so quotes and stuff. E: explanation: how your evidence is significant L: link to idea
Is paraphrasing okay? Better to quote words directly
How many quotes do I need to remember? All the quotes you need for each body paragraph
How do I remember quotes? Read over them heaps, get friends and family to test you idk
How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for? Literary techniques and quotes that relate to your idea
Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes? You can talk about characters as long as there's some sort of conceptual idea or theme
How do I go from consistent C's to consistent As? Do heaps of practise tests under exam conditions
Sweet thanks for the replies. The only thing I still need help on is PEEL.
Can I structure it as:

Point
Evidence
Elaborate
Link Evidence to Point/Question
Evidence
Elaborate
Link Evidence to Point/Question
Link Paragraph and Point to Question

Cheers,
MouseTop

MouseTop

HSC
How am I supposed to know what the idea is when I read it for the first time.

cookie_dough

HSC
N/A
How many quotes per paragraph:
There is no hard and fast rule. But having lots of textual evidence is necessary for a good mark because it shows you have a thorough understanding of your texts. Everything you say should be supported with a quote, and you can even use them in sentences, e.g. “Fallen from innocence”, the “mortal sin original” embodies the birth of man’s corruption, directly stemming from the aspiration and fulfillment of discovery.

How many paragraphs per idea: If using one text, one text per idea. If using two texts, you can either do two paragraphs for the one idea- one for each text- or synthesise them by discussing them together (e.g. go back and forth between them in para making comparisons as you go- which is harder but more sophisticated).
How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any other sort: Basically you have your quote, then you say what technique is being employed, and what the author is saying through this. There is no fixed structure and the teachers do not specifically look for a 'PEEL/PEAL/SEAL/TEEL/SEXY'- I have never used this structure and always get A's
Is paraphrasing okay? it is easier to use quote, this has the tendency to make your essay seem too narrative, a BIG nono.
How many quotes do I need to remember? Every quote you use
How do I remember quotes? Rote learning. Also keeping them short helps, around 4-5 is preferable. Also, if you have a good idea on the big ideas on what the author is saying, it should be easier to remember the quote that goes with this.
How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for? Write notes about the stuff the teacher talks about in class. You don't really have to annotate though, I know I don't. The best way to get sophisticated ideas/analysis as inspiration for your essay is google or resources on BOS.
Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes. Your idea is a theme. Obviously if the text has characters you should be referencing the characters... e.g. Othello's struggle against racial prejudice the rife nature of discrimination within Shakespeare's Elizabethan context (excuse the lack of quote I made that up just then)
How do I go from consistent C's to consistent A's: Having really good analysis on what the author is saying about bigger things. E.g. if your idea is morality, does your composer critique his/her society? What are they saying about human nature as a whole? Your essays should also be developmental. Don't whip out the big guns by putting in the author's overarching stance/message regarding the theme first in the topic sentence. First say "blah blah explores (theme here)". THEN when you put the quote, you say "through the lack of naming "boy" becomes a universal representation of humanity as a whole, through which Dicken's reveals man's fallible condition". But good analysis, and a killer link where you say EXACTLY what the composer is ultimately saying is good. This will not come from your brain or your teacher, read analysis online and have a good understanding of the author's context, teachers really like essays with good context and that really link the the question.

Good Luck!! And don't worry, I was once in the exact same position as you

MouseTop

HSC
How many quotes per paragraph:
There is no hard and fast rule. But having lots of textual evidence is necessary for a good mark because it shows you have a thorough understanding of your texts. Everything you say should be supported with a quote, and you can even use them in sentences, e.g. “Fallen from innocence”, the “mortal sin original” embodies the birth of man’s corruption, directly stemming from the aspiration and fulfillment of discovery.

How many paragraphs per idea: If using one text, one text per idea. If using two texts, you can either do two paragraphs for the one idea- one for each text- or synthesise them by discussing them together (e.g. go back and forth between them in para making comparisons as you go- which is harder but more sophisticated).
How exactly should I structure my PEEL, TEEL, or any other sort: Basically you have your quote, then you say what technique is being employed, and what the author is saying through this. There is no fixed structure and the teachers do not specifically look for a 'PEEL/PEAL/SEAL/TEEL/SEXY'- I have never used this structure and always get A's
Is paraphrasing okay? it is easier to use quote, this has the tendency to make your essay seem too narrative, a BIG nono.
How many quotes do I need to remember? Every quote you use
How do I remember quotes? Rote learning. Also keeping them short helps, around 4-5 is preferable. Also, if you have a good idea on the big ideas on what the author is saying, it should be easier to remember the quote that goes with this.
How do I annotate my book? What do I look out for? Write notes about the stuff the teacher talks about in class. You don't really have to annotate though, I know I don't. The best way to get sophisticated ideas/analysis as inspiration for your essay is google or resources on BOS.
Is it okay to talk about characters as your ideas or does it have to be themes. Your idea is a theme. Obviously if the text has characters you should be referencing the characters... e.g. Othello's struggle against racial prejudice the rife nature of discrimination within Shakespeare's Elizabethan context (excuse the lack of quote I made that up just then)
How do I go from consistent C's to consistent A's: Having really good analysis on what the author is saying about bigger things. E.g. if your idea is morality, does your composer critique his/her society? What are they saying about human nature as a whole? Your essays should also be developmental. Don't whip out the big guns by putting in the author's overarching stance/message regarding the theme first in the topic sentence. First say "blah blah explores (theme here)". THEN when you put the quote, you say "through the lack of naming "boy" becomes a universal representation of humanity as a whole, through which Dicken's reveals man's fallible condition". But good analysis, and a killer link where you say EXACTLY what the composer is ultimately saying is good. This will not come from your brain or your teacher, read analysis online and have a good understanding of the author's context, teachers really like essays with good context and that really link the the question.

Good Luck!! And don't worry, I was once in the exact same position as you
Sweet, thanks for the detailed reply. I'll try to incorporate as much of this as possible on Friday :/. Hopefully I do well.

MouseTop

HSC
When I first started this worked for me really well:

https://www.matrix.edu.au/how-to-write-a-band-6-essay/

The site suggests T.E.E which is good for setting you up for how to integrate quotes and tecniques for a solid analysis.
Thanks, just had a look at this. So to clarify:
Topic Sentence (Discuss and Link to Thesis)
Technique (Is this always required? What if the quote isn't a technique and is merely a description i.e. to show a character is resilient, I've found a quote saying "Jeffrey is unflappable".)
Evidence (Quote)
Effect (How the quote relates to your Topic Sentence)
Repeat T.E.E as required
Link your paragraph to the thesis

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Thanks, just had a look at this. So to clarify:
Topic Sentence (Discuss and Link to Thesis)
Technique (Is this always required? What if the quote isn't a technique and is merely a description i.e. to show a character is resilient, I've found a quote saying "Jeffrey is unflappable".)
Evidence (Quote)
Effect (How the quote relates to your Topic Sentence)
Repeat T.E.E as required
Link your paragraph to the thesis
Yep. I think you should always try and find a techqniue tho... SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG. - but with me, I always just find another example if I can't find a techniqiue.

MouseTop

HSC
Yep. I think you should always try and find a techqniue tho... SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG. - but with me, I always just find another example if I can't find a techniqiue.
Welp, I wasn't able to find a technique. But I've had a go at a parts of the an essay.

Question - No matter how brutal the environment, an appealing individual will find something in it to nourish and sustain personal growth.

I've got the intro and first paragraph done.

'Resilience' and 'comfort' are themes used to show how appealing characters in Craig Silvey's 'Jasper Jones find ways to nourish their personal growth no matter how brutal the environment. Characters prove themselves to be resilient when faced with issues of racism, abuse and prejudice. They are also seen to retreat to their comforts when problems arise.

Characters in Jasper Jones are seen to be resilient when faced with abuse, prejudice, and other issues, they nourish their personal growth in inhuman situations. Jeffery’s resilient nature to the racism he experiences is highlighted while being bullied during a cricket training session. “Jeffrey stumbles, but keeps going, head high”. Jeffery’s ideology that he will one day be able to play cricket amongst the other players in town displays his capability to make an ideal situation for himself in a callous environment.In addition, Jeffrey’s optimistic views albeit being victim to abuse by the other cricket players are emphasized when he is being pelted by cricket balls. “Jeffrey, of course, is resilient and impressive”. Charlie praises Jeffrey for being able to fight against the abuse and facilitate his personal growth instead of being overwhelmed by the abuse. Jeffery is a prime example of an appealing character who is able to find a way to nourish his personal growth instead of being overcome by wicked experiences.

Thesis
Topic Sentence
Technique (Well..my replacement for a technique I guess...)
Effect
Link

I'd like to know how I went and if/where I can improve.

Cheers,
MouseTop

Non-Colour Coded
'Resilience' and 'comfort' are themes used to show how appealing characters in Craig Silvey's Jasper Jones find ways to nourish their personal growth no matter how brutal the environment. Characters prove themselves to be resilient when faced with issues of racism, abuse and prejudice. They are also seen to retreat to their comforts when problems arise.

Characters in Jasper Jones are seen to be resilient when faced with abuse, prejudice, and other issues, they nourish their personal growth in inhuman situations. Jeffery’s resilient nature to the racism he experiences is highlighted while being bullied during a cricket training session. “Jeffrey stumbles, but keeps going, head high”. Jeffery’s ideology that he will one day be able to play cricket amongst the other players in town displays his capability to make an ideal situation for himself in a callous environment. In addition, Jeffrey’s optimistic views albeit being victim to abuse by the other cricket players are emphasized when he is being pelted by cricket balls. “Jeffrey, of course, is resilient and impressive”. Charlie praises Jeffrey for being able to fight against the abuse and facilitate his personal growth instead of being overwhelmed by the abuse. Jeffery is a prime example of an appealing character who is able to find a way to nourish his personal growth instead of being overcome by wicked experiences.

Last edited:

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
sometimes I use quotes without a direct technique in them as part of an overarching structural technique

but yea generally use a technique with the quote

BoostedAnimal

HSC
Being a student in the same position right now, this thread has also given me insight into essays :awesome: Thanks!

cookie_dough

HSC
N/A
Welp, I wasn't able to find a technique. But I've had a go at a parts of the an essay.

Question - No matter how brutal the environment, an appealing individual will find something in it to nourish and sustain personal growth.

I've got the intro and first paragraph done.

'Resilience' and 'comfort' are themes used to show how appealing characters in Craig Silvey's 'Jasper Jones find ways to nourish their personal growth no matter how brutal the environment. Characters prove themselves to be resilient when faced with issues of racism, abuse and prejudice. They are also seen to retreat to their comforts when problems arise.

Characters in Jasper Jones are seen to be resilient when faced with abuse, prejudice, and other issues, they nourish their personal growth in inhuman situations. Jeffery’s resilient nature to the racism he experiences is highlighted while being bullied during a cricket training session. “Jeffrey stumbles, but keeps going, head high”. Jeffery’s ideology that he will one day be able to play cricket amongst the other players in town displays his capability to make an ideal situation for himself in a callous environment.In addition, Jeffrey’s optimistic views albeit being victim to abuse by the other cricket players are emphasized when he is being pelted by cricket balls. “Jeffrey, of course, is resilient and impressive”. Charlie praises Jeffrey for being able to fight against the abuse and facilitate his personal growth instead of being overwhelmed by the abuse. Jeffery is a prime example of an appealing character who is able to find a way to nourish his personal growth instead of being overcome by wicked experiences.

Thesis
Topic Sentence
Technique (Well..my replacement for a technique I guess...)
Effect
Link

I'd like to know how I went and if/where I can improve.

Cheers,
MouseTop

Non-Colour Coded
'Resilience' and 'comfort' are themes used to show how appealing characters in Craig Silvey's Jasper Jones find ways to nourish their personal growth no matter how brutal the environment. Characters prove themselves to be resilient when faced with issues of racism, abuse and prejudice. They are also seen to retreat to their comforts when problems arise.

Characters in Jasper Jones are seen to be resilient when faced with abuse, prejudice, and other issues, they nourish their personal growth in inhuman situations. Jeffery’s resilient nature to the racism he experiences is highlighted while being bullied during a cricket training session. “Jeffrey stumbles, but keeps going, head high”. Jeffery’s ideology that he will one day be able to play cricket amongst the other players in town displays his capability to make an ideal situation for himself in a callous environment. In addition, Jeffrey’s optimistic views albeit being victim to abuse by the other cricket players are emphasized when he is being pelted by cricket balls. “Jeffrey, of course, is resilient and impressive”. Charlie praises Jeffrey for being able to fight against the abuse and facilitate his personal growth instead of being overwhelmed by the abuse. Jeffery is a prime example of an appealing character who is able to find a way to nourish his personal growth instead of being overcome by wicked experiences.
Maybe the pauses created through use of multiple commas are symbolic of the adversity which Jasper overcomes. Make sure you are saying the author's PURPOSE- he illustrates that resilience is integral to one's personal growth or sense of identity. And as your question says "an appealing individual will find something in it " is it perhaps this adversity that he draws strength from as a personal motivation? Work on the actual psychological affects of the adversity- its implications on Jeffery- more focus on initial hardship-and his character development. This will help the analysis. Your essay should be developmental, start with status quo (hardship), the effects, then the outcome. Then what this is saying about your theme.

MouseTop

HSC
Maybe the pauses created through use of multiple commas are symbolic of the adversity which Jasper overcomes. Make sure you are saying the author's PURPOSE- he illustrates that resilience is integral to one's personal growth or sense of identity. And as your question says "an appealing individual will find something in it " is it perhaps this adversity that he draws strength from as a personal motivation? Work on the actual psychological affects of the adversity- its implications on Jeffery- more focus on initial hardship-and his character development. This will help the analysis. Your essay should be developmental, start with status quo (hardship), the effects, then the outcome. Then what this is saying about your theme.
Thanks for the feedback. I also talked to my teacher about the intro and paragraph and she said it was alright, things to change were:

• Few words, not precise
  • Add another sentence to each quote saying how this makes the character appealing

Lazykiitten

Banned
HSC
Useful tips, I'll try to use It in the nearest future. I used Supreme essay before. Will improve my writing skills with those tips. Thank's guys.

MouseTop

HSC
Thanks for all the help! I got 19/20 for the essay!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)