Lower Aligned HSC Marks (1 Viewer)

HSC
WillShakespeare said:
haha

the way the board of studies gives like 70 on the certificate for a raw mark of 30 is awesome

it simultaneously boosts people up ("yay, i got 64 in my exam, that's not so bad')

then cuts them down the next day

"wtf, 40 UAI??"
Should the BOS be giving out lower aligned HSC marks to give people a better understanding of how they did in the exams? It seems silly that so few people are failing courses regardless of how badly they did, and, as suggested by Will, it is a little misleading in terms of expected UAIs.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Silver Persian said:
Should the BOS be giving out lower aligned HSC marks to give people a better understanding of how they did in the exams? It seems silly that so few people are failing courses regardless of how badly they did, and, as suggested by Will, it is a little misleading in terms of expected UAIs.
True. It's pretty stupid how most subjects allign up.

I mean, my friend should have got like 90% in 3 Unit Mathematics but ended up with 99 and now he is bragging that he actually got 99% in the paper! Yeah, as if (funny because he told me he didn't do 2 questions).

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
the sad thing is, most people who sit the HSC don't know this (ie dont know about aligning)

unless they come on here, or read the reports, or get told by their teachers (it is my hunch that even some teachers dont know that the baord 'aligns' marks, or the extent to which they do it) they wouldn't know

i had a friend get above 99 as their UAI, but they day before when the HSC results came out, she didn't want to look at it because she thought we received RAW exam marks, and that in january the board sends us our aligned marks

so yeh, people come out saying 'yeh i got 70', when most probably, they came close to failing the exam, and then as mentioned, the next day they wonder why their UAI is so low (despite the wide advertising of 'the UAI is a rank, not a mark)

i would be surprised if the education minister in NSW would understand the extent to which the board aligns marks...

it also gives rise to people saying 'i failed every test in the year, and in HSC got 65, i improved so much' - the fact that internally, most schools dont 'align' marks (like in assessments or in trials) is a mixed message for students, because the whole year they deal with raw marks, and suddenly they get hit with an unexpected mark when the results come out

dp624

HSC
Yes I hate people who ask me "did you get 100% in all your tests"
no dude wtf

Disco Dinosaurs

HSC
I'd have to agree its a bit rediculous, someone at my school got a band 3 in religion for just doing the multiple choice. I mean, the most they could have got raw was 20%, I think the board should just give them a fail mark instead of just trying to make them feel better. At least they still get a bit of reality if they're getting a UAI, to show them how below average they are.

HSC
Given the general community interpretation of 50 as a ‘pass’ at all levels of education, it has been suggested that HSC students may now feel they can achieve a respectable result with minimal effort.
Masters took the view that this suggestion seems unjustified for the vast majority of HSC students in 2001.
However he did note suggestions that the existence of ‘minimum competency’ standards can focus teaching and learning on satisfying minimum requirements only.
He recommended that the Board ‘monitor the possibility that the number of students achieving low standards in a course will be increased by the decision to assign a mark of 50 to students achieving the minimum standard expected.’
In response, as part of the Board’s Consultative Committee process, the proportions of students achieving the minimum standard expected will be monitored during 2002–03.
Advice as to whether the minimum standard needs to be re-established for any course will then be provided to the Board early in 2004.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)