macbeth analysing (1 Viewer)

E

eling

can someone good at shakespeare language interpret this?? it is by a character called lennox in the play in act 3 scene 6. if any1 noes of good shakespeare sites plz feel free u put it down on this thread. Thanx

My former speeches have but hit your thoughts,
Which can interpret further: only, I say,
Things have been strangely borne. The gracious Duncan
Was pitied of Macbeth: marry, he was dead:
And the right-valiant Banquo walk'd too late;
Whom, you may say, if't please you, Fleance kill'd,
For Fleance fled: men must not walk too late.
Who cannot want the thought how monstrous
It was for Malcolm and for Donalbain
To kill their gracious father? damned fact!
How it did grieve Macbeth! did he not straight
In pious rage the two delinquents tear,
That were the slaves of drink and thralls of sleep?
Was not that nobly done? Ay, and wisely too;
For 'twould have anger'd any heart alive
To hear the men deny't. So that, I say,
He has borne all things well: and I do think
That had he Duncan's sons under his key--
As, an't please heaven, he shall not--they should find
What 'twere to kill a father; so should Fleance.
But, peace! for from broad words and 'cause he fail'd
His presence at the tyrant's feast, I hear
Macduff lives in disgrace: sir, can you tell
Where he bestows himself?

oranGez

King Jeremy the WiCKED++
HSC
i dun think the st george english teacherz meant for u to get other ppl 2 do ur work. its cheating.

believe2005

wtfbbq
HSC
Lennox and another lord discuss politics. Lennox comments sarcastically on the recent deaths of Duncan and Banquo, saying that it seems almost impossible for Malcolm and Donalbain to be inhuman enough to kill their father, and that Macbeth's slaying of the bodyguards was pretty convenient, since they would probably have denied killing Duncan. Lennox proposes that if Malcolm, Donalbain, and Fleance were in Macbeth's prison, they would probably be dead now too. He also reveals that since Macduff did not attend Macbeth's feast, he has been denounced. The lord with whom Lennox speaks comments that Macduff has joined Malcolm at the English court, and that the two of them have asked Siward to lead an army against Macbeth. Lennox and the lord send their prayers to Macduff and Malcolm.

extract from here : http://www.gradesaver.com/ClassicNotes/Titles/macbeth/act3.html

also here is a link to a macbeth discussion forum.. hope this helps

http://library.thinkquest.org/2888/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

GL

afta???

HSC
eling how much have u done?
6 days to go b4 itz due n ive done nothin

afta???

HSC
i dont know y u chose lenox's speech
wouldnt one of macbeth's or his wife's soliloquy be much easier?

went to the state library 2day to research n theres nothin
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited:
E

eling

thanks everyone for helping me esp believe2005, i really appreciate it. my speech's due in a week...i'll paste the final copy of my critical analysation of it after i finish the assessment...wish me luck!!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You're doing Macbeth in year 11? We did that back in year 8...

afta???

HSC
we did merchant of venice and taming of the shrew in junior

so i guess it depends on the school

E

eling

In this passage Lennox is discussing political matters with another lord. Lennox hints of his suspicions about Macbeth. He comments on strange events such as Duncan’s guards being killed before they could be questioned, Macduff’s condemnation and the deaths of Duncan and Banquo.
From Lennox’s speech, we comprehend the objective and impersonal nature which Lennox adopts towards his king. He is not confronted by Macbeth’s inner thoughts and causes of his actions whereas the audience is from an omniscient point of view. Lennox does not question why the noble Macbeth would commit such wrongdoing. Instead, he perceives him as a one-sided political figure that shows no remorse by committing sinful deeds to gain power. Lennox’s objective perception as shown in his speech, eases reader’s comprehension of his decision to turn against Macbeth. This is in the latter part of the text where he allies with Malcolm.
In his speech, Lennox’s role as an observer is emphasized through his vigilant comments about Macbeth’s intentions that he would not hesitate to murder Donalbain and Malcolm if they were within his reach. Through the play, Lennox witnessed Macbeth’s change from a noble subject to a ruthless tyrant. Lennox’s speech provides an insight to the minds of most noblemen of Macbeth. Lennox’s speech acts as a turning point where his suspicions of Macbeth is revealed. Before this, audiences were made to perceive Lennox as Macbeth’s loyal thane. This is apparent at the banquet in Act 3 Scene 4 when Macbeth saw Banquo's ghost, Lennox invited Macbeth to sit next to him. He also had the last word with Lady Macbeth when she had ordered the lords to leave. Lennox left an impression of humility when he said “Good night, and better health Attend his majesty.” However in this passage he openly calls Macbeth a tyrant. Shakespeare has achieved his intent in using Lennox to symbolise the political majority where Lennox’s distrust of Macbeth symbolises other noblemen who eventually join Macduff in overthrowing Macbeth. Theodore Dalrymple of City Journal England suggested that Lennox’s decision in turning against Macbeth is due to totalitarian terror as a direct result of Macbeth’s thirst for power. This is evident in the Lennox speech when his said “the right valiant Banquo/ walked too late”. Here Lennox implies that Banquo was killed because he did not flee from Macbeth in time. From this speech, it is apparent that Lennox is intelligent and has his own mind and makes decisions on the basis of his country’s interest.

Lennox speech contributes to our understand of the play as a whole by acting as a turning point to foretell the future. Wiatt Ropp from the Shakespeare Institute, University of Birmingham states that Lennox gravitates around those with power. This is evident in his appearances throughout the play. During Duncan’s reign, Lennox appeared constantly with him. When Macbeth became King, Lennox switched to being his companion. Macbeth has brought Lennox to a place of great trust. In Lennox’s speech his distrust towards Macbeth and his support for Macduff is revealed. This foretells the shift in power from Macbeth to Macduff. It is from this speech onwards; that Macbeth’s opposition flourishes.
Lennox’s speech provides explanations of his reasons in turning against Macbeth. It acts as a parallel in demonstrating the reasons for which other noblemen have opposed Macbeth. Lennox’s speech hints of the distrust of other nobles against Macbeth. It also summarises all the misdeeds Lennox suspects of Macbeth committing. Karin Thomson of Shakespeare Institute suggested that these wrongdoings by Macbeth illustrates to the audience that Macbeth’s destiny is at the point of no return. Lennox’s speech hints of the tide turning against him and foreshadows Macbeth’s doom from this point forward. This speech also allows audiences to identify the deceptiveness of the witches’ predictions as interpreted literally by Macbeth in the following act. Hence, it can be seen that Shakespeare has used Lennox’s speech as a source of dramatic irony by foreshadowing Macbeth’s inevitable fate.

E

eling

eh that was the final copy of my speech, its not good i noe coz its so hard to find things on lennox. i only chose him coz every1 chose the good parts...oh wellz enjoy ppl if u can, if u cant feel free to criticise it. haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)