• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

macfields and hurlstone (1 Viewer)

HSC
Just tried out for these schools. What is the school like in social life or are the groups segregated to the extreme? Are they good in the activities field or are they both extremely shitty? I heard there are gangsters at mac fields..really they have it?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i think kimmeh goes to mac fields...

ask her

baby_mulanz

so bored ~ sleepy
mmm not really, but then i dono much about my skewl ^_^ (i go to Mac Fields high) thereZ like one gangster that i know of in my year... but... no thereZ no like big gangster gangs in our skewl ^_^

p.s= gangster gangs?

edit: Now that I look back on my message, I do write a bit wonky, eh? Oh well sorry Year 12 but its grown into a habit that I'm reluctant to rectify

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
School in Hurlstone is what you make of it. You can be a real bum like me and spend 6 years doing nothing and getting nothing out of it, or you can do all the extra curricular activities, like interact, cadets, chess, tournament of minds, rural youth, debating, mock trial, band, vocal emsemble, skiing, Hume and Edmondson zone sporting competitions with other schools, Duke of Edinburg, photography. There's more but my mind's rusty.

There's the annual Hurlstone Country Fair on 30th August, but it's not really a reflection of what goes on within the student body, more like the parent community kinda thing.

pri

HSC
N/A
ppl from there came to my skool, beleive me u dont wish u went to hurlstone...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL, my sister went there -- finished 6 years ago ;) she liked it.. hehehe.

What do ppl say are wrong with it? (I really wanted to go to do Ag.. LOL)

Soliah

Originally posted by pri
ppl from there came to my skool, beleive me u dont wish u went to hurlstone...
Do you happen to got Fort St? ;)

Hurlstone provides a good atmosphere towards study, especially during senior years IMO. I can say that that attitude isn't really reflected in Mac Fields (I've gone to both schools). I dunno - I guess it's really up to yourself as person and, perhaps who you hang around with that will ultametely affect how your school life will be. And your bound to hate the uniform at HAHS :p I sure as hell did, until I became a senior :)

Socially I think Hurlstone is fine and there is always alot happening, though this depends again on what you consider socially acceptable and even 'cool' . There is a bit of segregation evident between boarders and day students, but I there is also the same segregation between the community and selective parts at Mac Fields, at least from what i saw from the 2 years i was there.

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
There's nothing wrong with Hurlstone. The only reason people may not want to go to Hurlstone is because it's a bit strict, or used to be anyway. But then after you graduate, you look back and realise that it is the dicipline that gives the school it's good reputation amongst the community.

It's by far the best school in the district. I mean, sure you could go all the way out to the city or the North Shore and go to a school that rates higher in terms of HSC performance, but the time spent travelling there (I assume you live in SW sydney) could be better spent studying. And a lot of those schools are overly focused on UAI and HSC marks anyway.

The teachers are fully dedicated to your education, they'll give you their email addresses, phone numbers, organise before and after school tutorials, help you in whatever way you need. Most of them anyway.

Supposedly there's less segregation between boarders and day students now, but I don't think it ever bordered on hate.

Soliah

Originally posted by user
There's nothing wrong with Hurlstone. The only reason people may not want to go to Hurlstone is because it's a bit strict, or used to be anyway. But then after you graduate, you look back and realise that it is the dicipline that gives the school it's good reputation amongst the community.

It's by far the best school in the district. I mean, sure you could go all the way out to the city or the North Shore and go to a school that rates higher in terms of HSC performance, but the time spent travelling there (I assume you live in SW sydney) could be better spent studying. And a lot of those schools are overly focused on UAI and HSC marks anyway.

The teachers are fully dedicated to your education, they'll give you their email addresses, phone numbers, organise before and after school tutorials, help you in whatever way you need. Most of them anyway.

Supposedly there's less segregation between boarders and day students now, but I don't think it ever bordered on hate.
The teachers are definately dedicated to education and success of the students. All teachers give their best in helping students - hell some teachers offer help on weekends to students.

The boarder/day student issue has definately been addressed over the past few years, but nevertheless there is still some segregation evident. It also depends alot on the year - the current Yr12 aren't really close knit at all, whereas the Class of '02 were extremely close. All in all it is a friendly and really encouraging environment for all students.

The strictness i think has reduced, but the uniform is still important to the school - hell I don't even mind it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)