Macquarie Applied Finance/LLB vs Comm/Science vs USYD Economics (1 Viewer)

mehhh

HSC
I just finished my first year of my Applied Finance/ Law degree at Macqaurie with a high credit average (soooo close to distinction) so far. Although I like Macquarie, I can't help thinking that my employment prospects would be better if I were to graduate from USYD's B Economics (econometrics or economics)(finance). Also considering majoring in statistics at MQ as I went fairly well in stat170.
Ultimately, if everything were to go my way, I would want to work in an investment bank, preferably in a role related to sales or trading rather than M&A. I realise this is extremely competitive, but it would be a shame not to at least try. I would not be disappointed to land a role at one of the Big 4 advisory firms or commercial banks either, but I don't particularly want to become a lawyer.
Just wanted to know some peoples opinions, on which of these three degrees would be preferable:

Applied Finance/ Law @ MQ
Commerce (Finance or Economics)/ Science (Statistics) @ MQ
Economics (Econometrics)(Finance) @ USYD

UNSW is out of the question...way too far to travel for me.
Do Macq students have decent chances at breaking in to trading roles; or are they all reserved for UNSW/USYD students as the internet would have me believe?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
It is too late for internal transfer for semester 1 in 2013 @ mq.

considered Applied finance with statistic in Macquarie?

you really need to think do you have interest on statistic rather than just doing well in stat170 because stat170 is a very basic statistic unit anyway.

Obviously it would be better if you are graduated from Usyd given that you doing the same degree and similar grade. ( in general)

mehhh

HSC
I know, but I can take all of my finance subjects in semester one, and then apply for mid year transfer.

I took the stat171 equivalent at USYD (I transfered into MQ from USYD engineering). Not sure that I have a passion for stats or anything, but I have always been more interested in more quantitative subjects, which is why I am considering econometrics as a major if I were to transfer to USYD. I would take econometrics as a major at MQ, but apparently it's most likely being cancelled in 2013/2014 :(

kkmok

HSC
Uni Grad
Applied finance is pretty quantitative, From my friends doing applied finance and I also did one AFIN subject. You may consider doing Applied finance with Science (statistic).

If you have the maths and going to stick with statistic, I recommend you doing stat272 (this is a advance stat unit) as you learn much more than the general unit stat273.

You learn much more on the stock market if you choose applied finance.

mehhh

HSC
To be honest, I'm leaning more towards either mq applied finance/law or usyd economics than any stats course, just finding it difficult to come to terms with dropping law, especially since I was lucky to receive an offer with an <90 ATAR and pass average in my first year of uni :p It seems like the standard for entry into front office roles, although I am not sure about whether I can maintain my WAM in law in later years, or if I will have more trouble finding a job simply because I am a MQ student (which seems ridiculous to me :/).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)