• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Macquarie Bank summer vacation work (1 Viewer)

mathemagician

HSC
N/A
Hey my friend doing Actuarial Studies & Finance at UNSW is getting interviewed for Macquarie summer work. Anyone else going for the interview? Is it common for non-penultimate yrs to work as Interns over the summer vacation?

Btw, what kind of questions should he expect in his interview at the investment bank? I've heard that the interviews can be very tough.

Last edited:

HSC
your friend must be pretty damn good to get an interview if he aint in his penultimate year. As far as i knew it was ONLY penultimate year students but obviously not.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
only very few first years students may be accepted, ur friend is way above his league.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't it be a 3rd year student? I mean you hardly do any (or none) finance elecs in first year (but i suppose you do have the acst ones).

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
They do occasionally make exceptions.
If you know someone it's a lot easier and/or if there's something exceptional about you, not just necessarily marks.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I'm doing Commerce/Science and I got an interview despite not being in my penultimate yr. But i have nfi what to say in the interview.

Any tips?

CrashOveride

HSC
You guys just applied via the online thing? And submitted your resumes there also?

I didn't submit a resume so I think they filtered out people like me :)

RIZAL

HSC
congrats seraphim, i scored an interview too. If anyone has been interview by mbl previously could you pleeeeeeeeeease give us some tips! i sooooo love macquarie bank!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
congrats everyone, apparantly i heard only 200 of 2000 (~1%) applicants got thru into the interview stage, that in itself is a awesome achievement, hope you's get the job. :p

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
congrats everyone, apparantly i heard only 200 of 2000 (~1%) applicants got thru into the interview stage, that in itself is a awesome achievement, hope you's get the job. :p
really? now i feel special hehe :D how many places are there anywayz? btw, how did u get those stats?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Isaaq said:
congrats seraphim, i scored an interview too. If anyone has been interview by mbl previously could you pleeeeeeeeeease give us some tips! i sooooo love macquarie bank!
congrats to you too, isaaq. which division did u apply for? my friend got interviewed for accounting earlier but he said the interview questions are different for each division.

fatmuscle

HSC
It's good that you ppl applied for Mac Vac Work.

It'll look good on your resume, and you'll realise you never want to work at Mac again!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
fatmuscle said:

It'll look good on your resume, and you'll realise you never want to work at Mac again!
why do you say that?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Ive heard they make you work your arse off. But were young so we can stand it.

Did you apply for any jobs theone123?

sychoMATic

HSC
fatmuscle said:

Well, its probably not much use giving you guys tips on the interview stage now... But for those of you who got in, congrats.
If you didn't get in, try try try again... its worth it.
Don't get put down if you dont get in right away. Every year approximately 50,000 people apply for jobs within macquarie, when we consider that macquarie has a work force of around 10,000 ish, I guess you can do the math for the amount of people that get knocked back.

In regards to the quote above...
Macquarie bank is not for everyone, but if you are willing to actually work hard, then you will get paid WELL.
For those of you who took up your summer internships, you will have now realised you are getting paid around $850 p/w.. and you dont even have a degree!

I can not recommend joining the macquarie bank team enough...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
sychoMATic said:
Well, its probably not much use giving you guys tips on the interview stage now... But for those of you who got in, congrats.
If you didn't get in, try try try again... its worth it.
Don't get put down if you dont get in right away. Every year approximately 50,000 people apply for jobs within macquarie, when we consider that macquarie has a work force of around 10,000 ish, I guess you can do the math for the amount of people that get knocked back.

In regards to the quote above...
Macquarie bank is not for everyone, but if you are willing to actually work hard, then you will get paid WELL.
For those of you who took up your summer internships, you will have now realised you are getting paid around $850 p/w.. and you dont even have a degree!

I can not recommend joining the macquarie bank team enough...
Im assuming you work there now in ISD? How are the ISD applications for the internships assessed? They seem to run throughout the whole year?

sychoMATic

HSC
After you submit your application you will go for a host of interviews ranging from a HR interview, then your potential manager will interview you, then a sych test and then a possible phone interview.

You get interviewed as if you are applying for a full time position.. why?
Becuase when you finish the internship, they will assess your progress and if they like what they see, you will be asked to return when you complete your degree.

When you are on your internship work hard... I dont mean stay there from 8am till 8pm every day becuase thats not what macquarie is about. They will want to see that you can get your job done and that you have initiative.
Try and assess the way your sector does something and see if you can improve on it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)