Macquarie good for commerce? (1 Viewer)

summermagic

HSC
I'm thinking of doing a Bachelors of Commerce here next year and I'm just wondering what people think of the faculty here at Macquarie. Are the lecturers generally good? What about the atmosphere? Is everyone really motivated and stuff?

Would you say it's better than the more popular USyd and UNSW?

miss-smexy

HSC
Macquarie is great for commerce especially if you want to major in acturial studies or accounting.

IMO, UNSW/Macquarie > Usyd > UTS for commerce.

Others may beg to differ, but I think that this is the general consensus. Also, I've talked to a few accounting firms and they like Macquarie.

Regarding the lecturers... they are okay. Like any other uni, you'll get some lecturers who are better than others. But as long as you do all your tutorial homework you should be fine. The courses are well structured.

Atmosphere = good, cosy - but also lots of parties you can go to. We have the ECFS society... for commerce/economics/finance/accounting etc students. They have many activities throughout the year e.g. commerce cruise, commerce ball... can't remember what all of them were...

Anyway, overall, Macquarie is great for commerce.

Last edited:
HSC
Macquarie's great, the faculty and staff are encouraging and the atmosphere is fun.
Better? subjective.
At the end of the day it depends on how you use whats provided for you. It could be the "best" university in the world and you could still not be reaping all the full benefits.

You also mentioned that you were looking into a Bachelor of commerce Degree. I'd definitely look more into that as unlike the other universities Macquarie doesnt really have "majors" per se. Rather if you wanted to specialize you'd be looking at different double degrees i.e. Appl fin and Accounting

summermagic

HSC
I did more research into it and yes the lack of majors is kinda turning me off as I don't think I can do a double degree if I were to get a cadetship. The uni itself sounds good though! Thanks guys.

P

pLuvia

Majors are an area of study you focus on in a degree i.e. in a commerce degree there are the areas of study you focus on such as accounting, actuarial studies, finance, economics which are classified as majors

xsjado

HSC
and mq doesnt let you double major or somethng?

xsjado

HSC
So you rekon MQ>USyd when it comes to commerce?

miss-smexy

HSC
xsjado said:
So you rekon MQ>USyd when it comes to commerce?
Well USYD is great for arts and law... but yes I think that MQ > Usyd for commerce even though MQ is not as famous overall.

sja

dingleberry
HSC
For example at UTS they have a major called "Banking", or for Accounting they have a major for Auditing etc.

At Macquarie you do the lot.

And trust me man, anything you learn in uni basically you won't use in the work force. Experience is far more valuable.

h_v_g

HSC
hi all,
i would like to know about the Master in Applied Finance course ...whether its good to do it from Macquarie or melbourne. and what kind of a salary one expect after completing the course..

Rgds
h_v_g

lofley

HSC
Yeah
its fairly good for accounting, but there isn't as much of a social life.....seeing Mq its practically 100% international school......big fail....

Classes are good tho i can't complain except......many accounting lecturers are fresh of the boat and understanding their English can make some lectures very challenging.

alexvincent

HSC
It's a good degree and employers look at Macq and UNSW degrees equally.

However, since Macq is relatively small the degree is extremely inflexible due to many units not be offered in both semesters and very stringent prerequisites.

From experience, Macq exams are slightly tougher than UNSW exams. I think better marks are easier to get at UNSW than Macq.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)