Major problem! English Extension 2 50% of major work due tomorrow!! I haven't started (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
OK well I did have 50% done, then I handed it in not for assessment purposes just for general feedback, and I got the feedback last week and it was terrible, he said its 'unfix-able' and would get a terrible score in HSC (i.e. D or E) and I broke down, since that's when my exam block was just starting and I just finished my last exam yesterday afternoon, and today I have been trying to think of a completely new idea for a major work, and I've got nothing. Please help, I'm so depressed. I will probably end up not handing anything in...will this result in an N award? I want to drop the subject but I have 11 units and that's pretty much the minimum at my school, although they could allow 10 in exceptional circumstances, but I doubt I can drop it by tomorrow as I have to get all the necessary signatures/paperwork etc.
Can I please have some advice?
Sorry for the rant, and thanks all in advance!

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Re: Major problem! English Extension 2 50% of major work due tomorrow!! I haven't sta

Start working on it right now if it is due tomorrow. In the next 8 hours I am sure you can bash out 2 to 3 thousand words. It may not be perfect, although something is better than nothing. Some possible story ideas

- a magic world which a boy finds himself transported to
- a person saddened by grief and recent loss
- a rebellious child doing what they shouldn't be regretting it (in the form of a dairy etc)
- a persons troublesome time in jail and a reflection on how they ended up there etc

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Re: Major problem! English Extension 2 50% of major work due tomorrow!! I haven't sta

It is also poor form of the teacher to hand the work back to you the day before it is due and tell you it is unfixable (assuming you gave a reasonable period of time for him to look over it). I am sure he offered some suggestions to you also.

hayhay2012

HSC

It is also poor form of the teacher to hand the work back to you the day before it is due and tell you it is unfixable (assuming you gave a reasonable period of time for him to look over it). I am sure he offered some suggestions to you also.
Nah, he didn't really give suggestions :( just kind of said if thats my writing style it's 'unsavable' and I am 'screwed'
I am really upset
Thanks for your ideas, I just can't write under this pressure

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Wait they are actually assessing you based on having 50% of your major work done right now? That's crazy.

I just did my Viva, where I just read a short extract.

I think the pressure is too much for you to come up with a new idea and all! Can you just hand in what you've done and start a new one? It's not worth getting an N award over.

That said though, source a second opinion other than that teacher and if they say the same thing, maybe drop it if it's sure it won't count.

talisman

HSC

some more creative writing ideas:

- story of a child or elderly person who loses things and finds them later in his life, or other people find when he dies

- an elderly woman who feels she does not belong to the gediatrics ward in a hospital (gediatrics is family of medicine that focuses on health of elderly)

- parents of a child plant a tree (you can choose what kind - may have significance) when the child is born and grows alongside it. free for romantic notions - markings in tree, slashes from periods of depression, indent of ropes tied to a branch in an attempt to make a swing...)

I don't even know what kind of writer you are. Are you into creative, essays, dissertations. Hobbies, personal idiosyncracies. The best story comes from past experience. If you need help with reading over your final text, feel free to PM me.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Well, the teacher says it's crap, now ask yourself - why is it crap? Is it? Or is he just being mean?

W187

HSC

Honestly, just drop it.
Start of April and you've yet to formulate an idea.
Harsh but that's just the reality of it -just gonna strain on your other subjects.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Your school can't stop you from doing 10 Units.

HSC
N/A

i think you have probably just tried to pound out an idea in a short amount of time
and that has affected your story
i would say your problem is trying to cover too much
(i assume your talking about the story)
don't put too much into the plot
don't let it go for longer then a day (the plot)
otherwise your just trying to fit too much in

don't just drop it right away
you have a story
nothing is 'unfixable'
take out some of the plot and put in some characterisation
you'll do great :)

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Your teacher sounds like a dick. It doesnt matter if its bad or not , calling something terrible and unfixable is a pretty low blow

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Your teacher sounds like a dick. It doesnt matter if its bad or not , calling something terrible and unfixable is a pretty low blow
It sure is.

The onus is on them to check his students work to make sure they don't fuck it up.

As far as I'm concerned, it's poor subject management by the coordinator.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

It sure is.

The onus is on them to check his students work to make sure they don't fuck it up.

As far as I'm concerned, it's poor subject management by the coordinator.
Exactly. A student mentor is supposed to give ongoing advice, if the work was so bad in his eyes, why the fuck did he not try to rectify it earlier?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

In all honesty though, what else would you do in an English Ext. 2 class anyway?

I was always of the opinion that a major component on time spent was with the teacher going through what had been written and what could be improved.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

In all honesty though, what else would you do in an English Ext. 2 class anyway?

I was always of the opinion that a major component on time spent was with the teacher going through what had been written and what could be improved.
Your impression is correct

@OP what DID u do during ur student and mentor sessions?

enoilgam

HSC

The worst kind of teacher isnt the one thats utterly hopeless - if they are this bad you just ignore them and work around them. The worst kind of teacher is the one you trust but ends up giving you dodgy advice - in this case you seem to have drawn the latter. I have never done a major work, but I know people who have and it takes ages and requires a heap of work (half a day just isnt enough). Try and fix the one you have - if you cannot, then maybe consider dropping EE2.

EDIT: Just realised this was from yesterday - see how you go and if the situation is unfixable, consider dropping.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Yeah, in theory that's what happens. But my 'teacher' for EX2 was the Head of Secondary so in reality she only got to read like three drafts out of a possible... ten or so. My English Extension 1 teacher got to read a few more though - and because my EX2 work was based on my EX1 work, he also was a great help.

Going through what was written and improvement comments were made by my friends mostly - they took the time out to read my work and I just thought that was really awesome of them to do considering it was all our HSC year.

theycallmebob

HSC

my teacher hasn't even given me back any feedback. and now its the holidays and I need to get a full draft done by next term.

Last edited:

45Hyy

HSC

Tomorrow I'm handing in my report which is assessable that highlights my main concepts and the development of the Major Work since Vive Voche.
Personally I have random bits here and there but nothing concrete to hand in to my teacher but then again we all work at different paces, especially if it's something creative.
My friend in the class is doing a Gothic piece and virtually had half of her story written prior to picking up the extra unit at the end of 2011, whilst I was starting completely from scratch! Despite all this I haven't given up and neither should you!

If your teacher isn't being helpful and just plain rude and heartless then seek opinions from other English teachers either from your school or from a friend's.
I'd suggest thinking of something that means something to you (as corny as it sounds) but if you wouldn't pick it up and read it then why should someone else?
Draw on past experiences or what you hope to be past experiences at some point of your life.
You can get this done and to a standard of your liking but it's not going to be easy but it's not impossible either.

I know it's kind of hard to do but remember to have fun with it - the course is an extension of the other two and requires you to bring your creative aspirations to life; having a negative attitude isn't going to help anything - ignore your idiotic teacher or even strive to prove them wrong.

NO ONE is a pathetic writer - all people need is a little refining. If you have friend's in Uni (esp. people enrolled in Art degrees) seek their advice etc.

Hope this helps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)