• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Majors & Minors (1 Viewer)

newbiejo

HSC
Hey, I was just wondering how a minor works in the B. Science course.. i was thinking of doing a minor in pharmocology and major in anatomy.. can i do this? im kinda confused bout the whole issue.. if anyone culd help that wuld be great.. thanks.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
In the B Science Program/Degree you can do either of the following:

*Major + Minor sequence
*Major + Major Sequence (Here you'll overload, and if you do well in the first semester, you can request to start overloading in the 2nd semester of your first year.)
*Major + Select a broad range of electives (separate courses)

Take into account how difficult your major may be.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I'm quite sure that you wont have to overload to major in pharmacology and double major in science.

Its only 3 subjects. 1 in Semester 2 of your second year and 2 in your third year. Depends whether your electives are the same as your second major or not.

And minor in pharmacology is 2 pharmacology subjects :p or was it one.... hahaha

My opinion is that Physiology + Pharmacology is a better combination, but if you like anatomy then do that.

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Let's get this clear. In 3970 BSc, you need to do:

major+major (otherwise known as double major) OR
major+minor

Anything not counting towards your major or minor is an elective. Of the 144UOC, 84UOC must be from the Science Faculty.

No need to overload either. A minor is taken from Table B of the handbook, or 24UOC of upper level (Level 2 and 3) from a major sequence.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
can i do a double major in science if im in a combined degree? i keep getting conflicting reports.

newbiejo

HSC
From doing B.Science, what would i need to do to get into Master of Pharmacy? will minor in pharmocology still help?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
can i do a double major in science if im in a combined degree? i keep getting conflicting reports.
It wont fit and wont appear on your transcript as a Major but you'll have the subjects you did listed. It was what I was initially trying to do, major major and minor in a combined degree. UNSW state however that you can only major once in each field if your doing say Commerce/Science, thats 2 majors, one from each and no more.

But yeah, doing the subjects pretty much the same and they cant stop you.

newbiejo said:
From doing B.Science, what would i need to do to get into Master of Pharmacy? will minor in pharmocology still help?
This is getting off topic and belongs to the USYD forums but to answer your question:

- You do not even need to minor in pharmacology to get into master of pharmacy, you dont even need to graduate with a bachelor degree but simply meet the required prerequisites (they have changed them this year 2006 for 2007 applications).

- You need the main units - 1 year science, 2nd year biochem, physiology and PHARMACOLOGY DONE AT USYD (all other pharmacology units at other unis wont count).

- You need to do GAMSTAT (which wasnt required in 2006 entries).

- You need credit average

- You need some sort of experience such as working at a pharmacy etc.

EDIT: haha you need "(d) applicants may be asked to complete a Pharmacy Case Study Scenario on 25 November 2006." as well. All which can be found http://www.pharm.usyd.edu.au/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/mapharm.shtml

Pre2006 entrants had it easy.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Actually bscienceboy, if you are doing a maths/finance like blackfriday, he can double major in the science (maths) component. You can have Maths and Stats/Finance. Talk to Dennis Trenerry if you want to do it, he will let you.

Edit: You sure about MPharm needing the GAMSAT? Doesnt say it on that site... And i'm not sure what you mean about this:

- You need the main units - 1 year science, 2nd year biochem, physiology and PHARMACOLOGY DONE AT USYD (all other pharmacology units at other unis wont count).

It says you need 5/7 of the prereqs which are : (with the numbers being approx representative of the UOC values)

Human Biology

Calculus

Statistics

Chemistry

Biochemistry

Pharmacology

Physiology

Newbeijo: Are you aware the total cost for the 2yr degree is around $50 000?

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
velox said:
Actually bscienceboy, if you are doing a maths/finance like blackfriday, he can double major in the science (maths) component. You can have Maths and Stats/Finance. Talk to Dennis Trenerry if you want to do it, he will let you.
Yes that is one of the exceptions but the general rules are that you can not. I dont see why you would need approval to do so.
velox said:
Edit: You sure about MPharm needing the GAMSAT? Doesnt say it on that site... And i'm not sure what you mean about this:
http://www.pharm.usyd.edu.au/future_students/cw_degrees/reg_degree/mpharm_admissions.shtml
Thats for 2008 Applicants, which the initial poster will be required to complete.
velox said:
It says you need 5/7 of the prereqs which are : (with the numbers being approx representative of the UOC values)
To complete those 5/7 prerequisistes you need the prereqs of 1st year science subjects (including maths and stat) to get into physiology + biochem + pharmacology (the second year subecjts and remaining prerequisites).

Although they do recomend you do all 7 prereqs.

velox said:
Newbeijo: Are you aware the total cost for the 2yr degree is around $50 000?
"The cost for local students in 2007 will be $27,600 per year" = $55200

BUT having said that consider this:

Full Fee Paying
$20k/year for 3/4 years = $60k-80k. (3/4 years of uni)

Which I know quite a few people are doing.

Vs.
12k 2 years regular degree. + 55k = roughtly the same. (4 years of uni)

Those figures arent exact cause i dont know the fee costs but yeah if you really wanted to do it but couldnt get in through UAI then those are your choices.

Although the costs are high initially in the long run the returns are quite high. And given todays devision to block out supermarkets from opening new pharmacies the future still is promising.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
velox said:
The UAI is not very high. Repeat and save urself the cash if necessary.
:rofl:
NOT HIGH!?!?!?

It may not look high but you have to remember that, for an example -

50 places in B.Science UAI 50

But people with UAI of 100 want to get in then you have to match the 100 UAI not the 50.

Extreme example but a lot of people who get the UAI for pharmacy dont get in.

Raginsheep

HSC
But unless something drastic has happened, if that many UAI 100 people want to do a course then the previous years' UAI would be 100, not 50.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Raginsheep said:
But unless something drastic has happened, if that many UAI 100 people want to do a course then the previous years' UAI would be 100, not 50.
Like I said, extreme scenario :p

Affinity

HSC
Is Dr Trennery still the executive assistant at school of maths?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Yes, I think he will be retiring end of this yr. I have no idea who is taking over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)