• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Making up related texts (1 Viewer)

mrLuigi

HSC
Hi everyone,

I was wondering, since the examiners aren't necessary going to be familar with whatever related texts we choose, could we just make one up? Purely hypothetical, I've already got plenty of material, but (in the eyes of the examiners) what's the difference between an obscure poem or story and my own work?

Dr_Doom

HSC
The poem will most likely have more meaning and relate to the concepts of journeys in alot more ways than your story.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well that would really depend on what your other texts our whether you choice to use a poem for a related text or not. For me personally since of prescribed text is the Peter Skrzynecki poems I will not be using a poem for my related text.

In answer to your question though it is possible to do that yes and there have been a number of students do that over the years. I have two related text prepared one that I know more then the other so I can choice which one to use to best fit my argument/thesis.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Well that would really depend on what your other texts our whether you choice to use a poem for a related text or not. For me personally since of prescribed text is the Peter Skrzynecki poems I will not be using a poem for my related text.

In answer to your question though it is possible to do that yes and there have been a number of students do that over the years. I have two related text prepared one that I know more then the other so I can choice which one to use to best fit my argument/thesis.
It doesn't matter if you use a poem for an additional text if you're doing skrzynecki. They won't penalize you for it.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
No but you won't be using a wide variety of textual types showing that you can present, collect and analyse texts from a variety of sources and mediums. So it would be best to use a variety of textual types rather then another poem if you prescribed text is a poem. ;)

matty fwd

HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
No but you won't be using a wide variety of textual types showing that you can present, collect and analyse texts from a variety of sources and mediums.

We were told that by not using a wide variety....we would be penalised (or just lose potential marks). So either our english teachers are wrong, or Dr_Doom is....

Dr_Doom

HSC
matty fwd said:
We were told that by not using a wide variety....we would be penalised (or just lose potential marks). So either our english teachers are wrong, or Dr_Doom is....
Well if you're not using a poem in the stimulus booklet and you choose to use one for your additional text. That is still showing a variety (not necessarily wide)...

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I would tend to go with using a wide variety of texts and textual types. But if you are still unsure ask the advice line but I would assume they would say that it's best to use a wide variety of text types.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah I'll ring up at 4. If they say I should then I guess I'll have to use Wind in the Willows instead of Road not Taken..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)