Marie Antoinette: Kirsten Dunst (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Its directed by Sofia Coppola (Lost in Translation)

Kind of a modern punk mixed with the 18th Century with Marie Antionette.

Looks like absolute eye-candy here.

Its been getting a lot of mixed reviews. I hear that its in danger of being rather superficial, but that could be from the fact that the whole movie analysis the superficial...

I'd love to see it, although for some reason I have a feeling I might be disappointed...

Trailer here http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/marieantoinette/trailer1/medium.html

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
I liked lost in translation but then I watched it again. I think it's a wank, but at least its a good one. I believe people like to call it 'aesthetic', but really on second viewing it was a little boring.

I don't really like what I see in the trailer. It looks like another even sillier self indulgent wank. Again roughly based on Ms Coppola's life. I don't get the casting of Dunst. American accent just seems some anachronistic.

passion89

HSC
I'm definately going to see it because I loved Lost in Translation but I don't really like Kirsten Dunst...so we'll see how it plays out.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Whoa.
No one has been to see it yet?
Can't really create another Marie Antionette film thread, so I'll post here.

It's a good movie, not fantastic but good.
Kirsten Dunst actually does a pretty good job, which suprised me- because in her last few movies, I have been a little dissapointed.
It's perhaps not the best movie script wise, but it's amazing to look at.
The clothes, the shoes they're all great. Heheheh.
The music's not half bad either (so you don't sit there cringing).
It's so colourfull, and pretty - I want all those shoes hehehe, but it's amazing to look at!

Go see it!!! :D
Make up your own mind.

walrusbear

HSC
i'm going to check it out tomorrow
i'm trying not to dislike it before actually seeing it

though i love lost in translation this reeks of misfire
the six millions trailers are irritating too. my favourite new order and gang of four tunes are bandied about with that fugly kirsten dunst :(

icecreamdisco

HSC
saw this while i was in the u.s. recently, never have i seen a more actively frustrated and bored audience.

dunst was well cast in terms of what francis's daughter was going for, though it's by no means a great performance. awesome supporting cast (steve coogan, molly shannon, judy davis, danny huston, rose byrne, rip torn, maryanne faithful etc etc) largely wasted.

i kinda liked it overall; francis's daughter has a great grasp on mood, and at the very least she's established herself as a distinctive voice in contemporary cinema - it definitely takes guts to make something like this, especially after lost in translation's accusations of solipsism. i eagerly await her next project.

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
One thing I have to say that was rather annoying.

Austrians with American accents. French with American accents.
You know, it kinda puts the audience off.
Even the children were speaking in french (french actors no doubt).
I think it ruins the mood of it a little. You expect to hear royal court french/austrian accents and you end up hearing something that you'd hear on a TV sit-com.
Then again, Sofia was perhaps going for that -shrug-.

Like a scene where Dunst is trying on all those gorgeous shoes in her room with the princesses, and there's a pink-converse trainner in the shot. Perhaps there by accident, perhaps not. Kinda funny though, I sat there in the cinema going 'HUH? did I just see that, or was... I like.. Delusional.'

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Yeah, the movie was good but it wasn't great.

I've always thought that Sophia Coppola's movies are only made because good ol' Daddy Francis happens to produce them all. I mean - they're all so hollow and the only thing that keeps them alive is the soundtrack, setting and decent actors. The plot seems to constantly be this stupid lonely woman in a hollow world bore that sends half the audience into a semi-coma. I think her movies really rely on good visuals to keep critics from bombing them completely.

Mind you, I mean - Ebert gave this one four stars, Travers gave it a 3 1/2. I think it just could've had more of an impact. They didn't even show the guilliotine scene - nor did they even imply it. I was expecting a more indulgent kind of sickly regal film, I don't know like American Psycho meets Barry Lyndon.

Still, won't stop me from seeing her next film in hope that she's learning from her mistakes. In terms of people saying this was a 'technical masterpiece' - keep an eye out after I think the second cigarette burn on the loop - in a scene in her room (the one with all the shoes) you see the boom mic twice, and you see the entire body of a cameraman in the dance sequence.

The only thing this film gave me was two new tracks on my iPod, otherwise it just managed to suck another 11.50 out of my wallet. On a completely different note, anyone see Hard Candy. Jesus Christ that was a good movie.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I kinda want to see this but from seeing the trailer and snippets, the accent drives me nuts!

I hate the American drawl in general so if I can get past that, I'll go see this.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I liked Lost In Translation. I fucking loved The Virgin Suicides. So I'm really looking forward to this one.

I think some of you have missed the point of the movie. A pair of Converse in the shot? Yeah, that's the point. Do you really think Marie Antionette listened to New Order? Same with the American accents. It's all part of Coppola's vision. You can love it, you can hate it, but it's certainly no goof.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
I'm very eager to see this, and the fact that the soundtrack and the aesthetic of the film is completely up my alley will probably mean I'm a little biased, but from what I can tell based on reviews and trailers I really appreciate the post-modern feel Sofia has gone for. Kirsten Dunst is one of my favourite actresses and she seemed to work brilliantly under Sofia's direction in TVS, so if she isn't excellent in MA then I'll be sorely disappointed.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear various opinions on it. I've heard all sort of reviews, from people claiming it is a modern masterpiece, to those who think it's a pile of steaming shit with a weak storyline and script, glossed over by visually stunning costumes and sets. I believe it was summed up by one critic as being in essence like the title of a Sex Pistols song, "Pretty Vacant".

nandayo

ismist
HSC
icecreamdisco said:
no it wasn't.
Care to elaborate? I mean - you say that it takes guts to make Marie Antoinette. All it takes is money provided by her dad and four million cocky arts students that'll buy the DVD.

Hard Candy was made on a tiny budget and has some of the best editing and digital colouring I've seen in a long time. Not to mention every other aspect. It didn't need hundreds of costume props and furniture and extras and dull shots and a grossly fake sunrise and constant bad shots and everything else that made Marie Antoinette not worth the money spent on it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the film was terrible. I thought it was decent, just I was expecting much more.

Hard Candy was a great film. Marie Antoinette was a good one.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Hard Candy? Isn't that the movie about the teenager who decides to give an internet paedophile her own version of revenge? Yeah, that movie and this one? Two completely different films with two completely different objectives. I don't know why we're comparing them here.

icecreamdisco

HSC
nandayo said:
Care to elaborate? I mean - you say that it takes guts to make Marie Antoinette. All it takes is money provided by her dad and four million cocky arts students that'll buy the DVD.

Hard Candy was made on a tiny budget and has some of the best editing and digital colouring I've seen in a long time. Not to mention every other aspect. It didn't need hundreds of costume props and furniture and extras and dull shots and a grossly fake sunrise and constant bad shots and everything else that made Marie Antoinette not worth the money spent on it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying the film was terrible. I thought it was decent, just I was expecting much more.

Hard Candy was a great film. Marie Antoinette was a good one.
oh god, no! sure, it's pretty neat to watch with a big audience, where every guy wincingly crosses their legs and every gal laughs out of empowerment, and yeah, the lead performances are pretty freakin' great, but it's so painfully, depressingly vapid; not just exploiting it's 'big issues' but practically using them as a plot device to push the central game of sympathy volleyball along, and since there's so little background given to these characters, we're just watching two ciphers engaged in a long match of who can repel us the most. visually, it's a disaster - all mtv-ish flash and no soul, and displaying more attention to what looks cool at the moment than actually serving the narrative. plus, the dialogue is mostly really terrible, and it's to page and wilson's credit that they manage to almost make us forget that people like this only exist in lame-ass films like this one. and the ending is just a plain cop-out, emphasising what a one-trick-pony the whole film is. an empty provocation if there ever was one, though at least it inspired a good, healthy debate afterwards with my filmgoing company when we saw it (which says more about the quality of the experience than the film itself). the praise for it makes me sad.

i agree that m-a was a good film, but i can't agree that the visuals were bad - i initially felt seduced and then alienated by the lavishness and artifice, just like marie did. hard candy was just slick, and nothing else.

Last edited:

walrusbear

HSC
i found MA ok
it wasn't entirely the piece of confection hinted at in trailers (though the 2nd act was my least favourite)
asia argento and rip torn were v funny
nice visuals bleh

in reference to not showing the execution, it would have detracted lots. the film seemed as much about versailles lifestyle as the characters; i quite liked the final image. it also would have injected an incongruous political bent on her fate.

and hard candy was exploitative at best.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Fair point on the execution scene.

I just think as far as technical work goes, Hard Candy was far better than MA. Just the fact that such a bland and boring environment was set on fire with great filming and digital colouring. I just still can't believe that bloody MA sunrise.

dead cactus

captain tightpants
HSC
i was really pleased with this movie, i actualy quite loved it. I was very waryof the kirsten dunst factor - she's good in light and fluffy roles, but generally when the drama needs to be turned on she doesn't usually cut it. but i quite liked it, my only beef was with her "breaking down crying" scene, when she couldn't even manage a tear, just a scrunched up face. For shame!

but in general i thought the movie was great. obviously it was visually stunning, and as a shoe lover, i was loving the middle montage!! The music was also awesome - check out the soundtrack, 2 discs of very well chosen track,s love it!

I actually know very little about the marie antoinette story, i knew of the cake line and that was about it, but this movie makes me want to find out more, even if it contradicts the movie's views (which i'm sure it does). i read a coupld of things on wikipedia (always a good start!) and i think i make have to research it more... anyone know of any good places to look?

And even i couldn't deny the hotness of KD wearing nothing but stockings and a fan...!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
dead cactus said:
And even i couldn't deny the hotness of KD wearing nothing but stockings and a fan...!
Oh I can...Yuk snaggletooth.

And I have heard all the hoopla about it being a non-historical look at the soul of a courageous yet lost young woman yada yada, but I for one could not get past how awesome this stellar cast would be if they were directed into a historically accurate portrayal of this amazing woman and one of histories' mightiest upheavals.

I have read enough about her to know that the vapid, languid, lazy-eyed creature bore no resemblance to the actual monarch.

And golly fuck I hate that Kiki Dunst.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
What's Hard Candy got to do with MA? :confused:

But MA lived up to its hype for me. I loved the mood that Coppola created and her attention to movement and detail - quite spectacular.

edit: ah crap this thread was bumped =/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)