marking (1 Viewer)

juliastiles

HSC
do you think the markers of essays and short answers will be more lenient this year because of lockdown, especially in the hsie subjects where its mostly essays there's more room to be lenient

dannyo1

HSC
Can’t see why they would be. As long as the same standard of marking is applied to everyone across the state it doesn’t really matter how harsh/hard it is - if everyone does shit then the alignment will save the day to ensure that the results are comparable with previous/future years.

icycledough

HSC
Agree with the points raised above, and also noting that everyone has been in the same situation (very difficult as I can definitely imagine), but the most important thing is that everyone is again on a level playing field.

dannyo1

HSC
Agree with the points raised above, and also noting that everyone has been in the same situation (very difficult as I can definitely imagine), but the most important thing is that everyone is again on a level playing field.
Yup, and even for those who have been more adversely effected than others NESA has done COVID special considerations for things like drama and E2 major works and I believe that UAC has added a new EAS category for people whose parents/primary caregivers went into jobseeker or whatever the COVID dole was called.

hatterene

HSC
don't you see it more as a "these kids got 1 more month to study plus less travel time to/from school, meaning they have it easier" perspective from the markers?

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
don't you see it more as a "these kids got 1 more month to study plus less travel time to/from school, meaning they have it easier" perspective from the markers?
lol i hope not, they needa consider that more time to study unmotivated many ppl cuz it kept dragging the stress on and the fact that we learnt majority of content that was tested (esp for the maths HSC) during lockdown where we didn't have teachers' support. That added with the uncertainty surrounding lockdown and stuff = no motivation to study

Leadmen4y

HSC
It could be that, but I would hope they think that the quality of education/teaching would have dropped a lot this year due to online teaching, which as we all know, can definitely have many problems.
it really has, most of my teachers all gave up on teaching the subject and instead made worksheets to submit for basically every lesson. can't blame them legit not even half the class show up for zoom lessons anyways

iwanttodogoodinschool

HSC
it really has, most of my teachers all gave up on teaching the subject and instead made worksheets to submit for basically every lesson. can't blame them legit not even half the class show up for zoom lessons anyways
literally, most of my teachers would not even be available during the lesson to answer questions or anything, they would just post work and go???? and it was so overwhelming when I woke up to like so many google classroom notifications in the morning

Leadmen4y

HSC
literally, most of my teachers would not even be available during the lesson to answer questions or anything, they would just post work and go???? and it was so overwhelming when I woke up to like so many google classroom notifications in the morning
even when u chase them through emails or private comments on classroom, they get back to u like a week later or something like that. my English teacher gave me feedback on my essays like the day before paper 1, also never touched the paper 1 practice I sent just ignored it lmao

icycledough

HSC
even when u chase them through emails or private comments on classroom, they get back to u like a week later or something like that. my English teacher gave me feedback on my essays like the day before paper 1, also never touched the paper 1 practice I sent just ignored it lmao
I've really never got the reasons why they do that (the obvious reason being that they don't have time to mark practice papers from everyone or that they have to teach other lessons); but if this isn't the case, you would think that teachers want their students to do well in external exams, as it sets a good reputation for their school and it shows that the hard work they've put in the entire year has come to good use.

Leadmen4y

HSC
I've really never got the reasons why they do that (the obvious reason being that they don't have time to mark practice papers from everyone or that they have to teach other lessons); but if this isn't the case, you would think that teachers want their students to do well in external exams, as it sets a good reputation for their school and it shows that the hard work they've put in the entire year has come to good use.
but they don't get paid more or less depending on how well the class does, so no point on putting extra effort on top of teaching the class ig kinda unfair for the people who put in work but don't actually get the support they need

icycledough

HSC
but they don't get paid more or less depending on how well the class does, so no point on putting extra effort on top of teaching the class ig kinda unfair for the people who put in work but don't actually get the support they need
Fair point ... but I don't think teachers, just like with any job, should be primarily motivated by salary. You would hope teachers just want one thing at the end of the day, and that is their students succeeding in school (whether it be in HSC exams or in Year 7). Salary should just be considered as an effect of the quality work you put in to your role at the end of the day.

Leadmen4y

HSC
Fair point ... but I don't think teachers, just like with any job, should be primarily motivated by salary. You would hope teachers just want one thing at the end of the day, and that is their students succeeding in school (whether it be in HSC exams or in Year 7). Salary should just be considered as an effect of the quality work you put in to your role at the end of the day.
sadly some teachers r like that and there's nothing the students can do other than getting a private tutor to compensate ig

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)