Marks & education... (1 Viewer)

pranks85

Is anyone else finding that their schools are so focused on marks that it's actually detrimental to the whole purpose of school - i.e. education?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by pranks85
Is anyone else finding that their schools are so focused on marks that it's actually detrimental to the whole purpose of school - i.e. education?
Thankfully that wasn't the case for me. The focus on assessment in year 12 is detrimental to education in a sense, but it's a consequence of using the UAI system to manage university entrance.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
actually, my skool is so crap they only say how good the skool is when we get some half-decent marks..

*looks behind his shoulder.. see's the principal and starts running!

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
It's so true...the HSC seems much more concerned with how fast you can write, how well you can bullshit, and how well you can memorise a few quotes and dot points than actually using your brain and learning something worthwhile. You can be an incredibly intelligent person but still not do well in the HSC because you just aren't compatible with the current education system, and the way the Board of Studies sets it's shitkicker Micky Mouse exams-in fact that happens to a lot of people.
It's a huge shame...but I guess there really is no other way to do it.:(

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by pranks85
i.e. education?
Depends what you define as education. Education in terms of book-knowledge? Of the world? :D

pri

HSC
N/A
its not like we are getting a real education with the HSC system, its all about working the system to your own advantage and rote learning, not about actually learning anything useful, and the skills gained are minimal. If you have a half decent memory I say you'd do pretty well in the HSC.

-thats my 2 shillings anywayz

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
and the ironical thing is that the HSC aims encourage preparation for university - and already in the 1st week of uni, they tell u "not all your methods for the studying in the HSC will work here"

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
and the ironical thing is that the HSC aims encourage preparation for university - and already in the 1st week of uni, they tell u "not all your methods for the studying in the HSC will work here"
Yah ... they say ... this is nothing like your high school experience! :rofl:

pranks85

Re: Re: Marks & education...

Originally posted by flyin'

Depends what you define as education. Education in terms of book-knowledge? Of the world? :D
Either. But mostly, knowing how to think. If I have a question in class, and I put it to the people around me for consideration, they'll decide whether to or not based on the relevance it has to the syllabus - I mean, it doesn't even occur to them to question what they're being told, and seeing how it relates everything else they know - in short, they really don't seem to be able to know how to think about the information they're being given, rather than simply absorbing it. I think that, not the actual information (though of course, that's important as well), is the most important thing education can pass on to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)