Marks Used to Calculate the UAI (1 Viewer)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I believe it is after, which is why SAM is most effect after you have your HSC results.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Actually that is incorrect.

To attain your UAI, the UAC uses the raw HSC marks and has a separate scaling process from the Board of Studies.

This scaling process is hidden and the marks from that are not publically available to students. The UAI is calculated from the aggregate of the sum of scaled marks based on your best 10 units, where each unit is worth 50 marks. So every student has their aggregate mark out of 500 (5 * 10 units), and a UAI ranking index is calculated.

So to clarify, the marks you see at the end of the year when the Board of Studies reveals your HSC marks is not the marks that are used in the calculation of the UAI, rather the raw HSC marks are used.

Here is a flowchart to show the processes involved. If you have any further questions I'm happy to answer. :)

http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/flowchart.pdf

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
so, the marks used are not moderated?.

beacause i am rank 3 for sdd, however it has been close thorughtout prelim and hsc, i used to be first and since then the compition has increased and the only difference between the top 3 guys is by a few marks. the guy coming 2nd is only coming second due to his beating me in the major work by 2%.

I am sure i will beat him in the hsc as i did for the trials as he does not do well in exams, the moderation process feaks me out cause i am worried he will get my higher exam mark.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The marks that are used in the calculation of the UAI is moderated.

It's those raw moderated marks that the UAC uses. The Board of studies has a process that aligns the raw moderated HSC mark to attain the HSC mark you see at the end of the year.

This is shown in that flowchart I posted earlier.

It doesn't matter if he gets your higher exam mark. You still keep your own exam mark, and the moderation process takes into acccount the relative differences between each student so that if you were 2% lower than the person ranked above you you will receive a moderated assessment mark that is also approximately 2% lower. So the mark difference between each student is taken into consideration.

lisraeli

HSC
But doesn't that effectively make the marks we recieve useless? What's the point of the marks we receieve if they aren't used to calculate the UAI...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Yeah, the process is a bit crappy, but that's the HSC for you.

Perfect example of the HSC screwing somebody over;

3 people.

John
Matt
Steven

Internal marks:
John 88.6 : whole mark : 89 [1st]
Matt 88.3 : whole mark : 88 [2nd]
Steven 87.4 : whole mark : 87 [3rd]

HSC Mark:
John 50
Matt 100
Steven 85

The marks then undergo moderation, if you were first in the class internally (like John), then you automatically get the Highest HSC Mark as your Internal mark. (it moderates your internal mark), so your new Internal mark gets added with your actual HSC Mark.

Therefore John with get, 100 (highest HSC Mark) and 50 (his hsc mark), his final mark will be 75.

After first place it changes a bit, Matt who came second, will do well, he gets 85 (the second highest HSC mark) and his mark of 100, added together, but because the marks were relatively high he gets moderated down a bit Instead of getting 92.5 he'll get 90. (luckily the HSC took care off him, he was lucky because of steven's excellent mark. That's why people argue good school = good HSC).

Steven, gets completely screwed over though, because of the way it's done.

He did good in the HSC, (all the way throughout), but he'll get 50 as his internal mark and 85 as his HSC mark, together that comes to about 62.5, but the marks are moderated a bit, he'll end up with a 68.

he gets completely screwed over right?
Go Figure.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think you'll mis-interpreted a lot of things and there are a few differences with moderationi groups less than 5 students.

I'll make a more in depth reply later, have to go to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)