"Mason of Mosman" (1 Viewer)

BillytheFIsh

HSC
Extract from here:

An address by former chief justice of the High Court, Sir Anthony Mason to the conference dinner which marked the Centenary of the Australian High Court.

[EDIT: Having lived in far north Qld for 8 years, this is especially humorous to me.]

Since leaving the High Court, I have been sitting in exotic jurisdictions where people have been addressing me as 'my Lord President', 'my Lord' and 'Your Lordship'. This is a heady experience, as Justice Michael Kirby will attest, and is calculated to persuade me to refuse to follow decisions of the High Court of Australia in which I have not participated. So far I have not succumbed to this temptation.

While Sir Robin Cooke and I were sitting together on the Supreme Court of Fiji, Sir Robin became a real Lord.
Before his elevation, his signature on the Court judgments was simply 'Robin Cooke'. After his elevation to the House of Lords, his signature was transmogrified into 'Cooke of Thorndon'.

I pointed this out to Sir Gerard Brennan who had joined us on the Fiji Court. I asked him whether I should change my judgment signature from unadorned 'A.F. Mason' to 'Mason of Mosman', Sir Gerard pondered deeply for a moment and said 'No. They will think you are a used car dealer'. I have not forgiven Sir Gerard for this comment.
Unashamedly stolen from here. (I'm not a blogger or a blog-reader, but Dave provides me with some interesting legal entertainment from time-to-time.)

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
eh, come agin? i thought Mosman was in Sydney, not North Qld?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
BillytheFIsh said:
Extract from here:

An address by former chief justice of the High Court, Sir Anthony Mason to the conference dinner which marked the Centenary of the Australian High Court.

[EDIT: Having lived in far north Qld for 8 years, this is especially humorous to me.]

Unashamedly stolen from here. (I'm not a blogger or a blog-reader, but Dave provides me with some interesting legal entertainment from time-to-time.)
Well that got me to laugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)