Mastering English = Possible? (1 Viewer)

Finx

HSC
Hey, I had taken a break from this site for a while, but now I'm back for a query!

I've browsed several threads on this forum and found a common problem in some students - their problems with English.

I want to see if there is someone out there who is actually "mastering English". I'm talking about someone who scores near full marks in their essays, gets top marks in extenstion etc. If so, how do you do it?

OR, is English actually a 'masterable subject' at all?

HSC
It's because majority on here are asian, no offence. A girl in my year got 100% in few essays ect and for half yearly got like 98%.

Finx

HSC
the name i want said:
It's because majority on here are asian, no offence. A girl in my year got 100% in few essays ect and for half yearly got like 98%.
Although quite general, this is probably true - however, I'm sure that there would be some non-asian students who also find English a grueling subject.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes it is. Even for Asians.

Finx

HSC
kaz1 said:
It's impossible. It depends if the teacher likes you.
See, this is what I'm talking about.

It's so common for people to try incredibly hard in English and still fail in their expectation.

I could write a tl;dr version of how English is all about opinion, where there is never a 'right' answer, how the concept is too broad to be marked, etc etc etc.

I want to know how the top English students get where they are.

HSC
Learn how to structure an essay.

Precise thesis (3 lines max) then hit up with context, techniques etc (varies depending on question, text etc of course) and make sure you include links between texts. Also, make it personal by using me, my and I, markers like that now.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Exphate said:
Fucking hell, people like you shit me off royally.

ari89 mastered English.
Pretty obvious you didn't master English, "shit me off".

Aplus

HSC
N/A
What do you mean, is mastering English possible? Sorry, but it's a pretty stupid comment if you think English is impossible to master.

Finx

HSC
Aplus said:
What do you mean, is mastering English possible? Sorry, but it's a pretty stupid comment if you think English is impossible to master.
I say this with (most likely) many people who agree with the statement.

English is SUCH a broad subject. Your ideas are being evaluated. Ideas reflect opinion, which reflects your own state of mind and how you see things. It can be common for people to be marked down due to their difference of opinion compared to the marker.

Don't tell me that 'backing up your ideas' will fix the problem. It's very possible for markers to still disagree with your thoughts.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
st1m said:
And what about at our school, where we don't put classes or names on our papers, but numbers? Can you still say: "Oh, the teacher doesn't like me?"

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
English is impossible to master in school if you haven't been reading and writing it (alot) for at least 5 years.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Rhanoct said:
English is impossible to master in school if you haven't been reading and writing it (alot) for at least 5 years.
more like, 3.022 x10^23 years. english is entirely dependant to nthe marker. grrr.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aerath said:
And what about at our school, where we don't put classes or names on our papers, but numbers? Can you still say: "Oh, the teacher doesn't like me?"
What if the teacher knows your number?

Finx

HSC
foram said:
more like, 3.022 x10^23 years. english is entirely dependant to nthe marker. grrr.
Don't you mean 6.022x10^23? Avagadro's number, amirite?

kaz1 said:
Why would you give your number to a teacher who hates you? o_O

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
Well, the process is, it goes through one teacher, with only the number on it. Then it's double marked by the next teacher, and is your marks are then averaged (unless the two teachers are out by more than 3 marks, then it's marked by another teacher). After all the numbers are written in pen on the paper, another teacher then prints out a list of student numbers, and starts writing the students' names on the paper. Then they're organised into classes, and handed out etc.

There are hardly any ways teachers can jip the system. And even if they could, there's no reason why they'd want to. It irks me that people who don't do well in English, generally blame anyone but themselves, whether it be their school, or their teachers. Blame yourselves, because 95% of the time, it's your fault (ie. you wrote a shit essay/short story) - not the fact that the teacher that marked it doesn't like you.

jellybelly59

HSC
Aerath said:
Well, the process is, it goes through one teacher, with only the number on it. Then it's double marked by the next teacher, and is your marks are then averaged (unless the two teachers are out by more than 3 marks, then it's marked by another teacher). After all the numbers are written in pen on the paper, another teacher then prints out a list of student numbers, and starts writing the students' names on the paper. Then they're organised into classes, and handed out etc.

There are hardly any ways teachers can jip the system. And even if they could, there's no reason why they'd want to. It irks me that people who don't do well in English, generally blame anyone but themselves, whether it be their school, or their teachers. Blame yourselves, because 95% of the time, it's your fault (ie. you wrote a shit essay/short story) - not the fact that the teacher that marked it doesn't like you.
+1

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aerath said:

Fair enough.

jellybelly59 said:
I swear to god these piss me off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)