• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

math1031 (1 Viewer)

fat_penguin

HSC
hey guys

i was wondering if i'd be allowed to do math1031 (maths for life science) in a com/sci degree, if i'm planning to major in marketing/psychology?

because when i enrol, it says the lowest i'm allowed to do is math1131 (math1A), but since i havent done 3u, cola recommends that i do math1031? and it makes sense especially since i don't plan to do any more math after first year..

but i dunno if im allowed to do it.. so would any body know if i can?

cheers!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If the lowest you can do is MATH1131 according to the requirement of your degree (from the Handbook), then you can't do anything lower. They won't let you graduate unless you have completed all the requirement of your degree, including enrolling in all correct subjects.

You can try to catch up in the summer by looking over the 3 U textbook.

fat_penguin

HSC
thats the thing though - it doesn't actually specify which math course we have to do, just that we have to do two of them .. so yeah i dunno..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Are you talking about the 6 uoc maths in first year for the science part of your degree? If it is, it didn't specify which one, and since for a PYSC major, there is also no mention of you needing to do maths. I guess you can choose whatever maths you want.

fat_penguin

HSC
yep that's the one - although i think i need 12 uoc.. but yeah gosh i hope you're right.. :) thanks for your help! ill call them tomorrow anyways to check - cross your fingers for me! :)

Affinity

HSC
Cola is more of a toy program cooked up by the comp science department.
And don't think you will get away with mathematics after first year..
"research methods" is teh PSYC code name for statistics

fat_penguin

HSC
ahaha i know that =) i just meant math**** .. should've put it clearer i spose..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)