• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Maths Dillema - To drop, or not to drop? (1 Viewer)

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC
Gah. Second post here...

Anyway... I'm currently in 2 Unit mathematics, and I just flunked the first exam. I mean, I tried hard for it, studied (probably not as much as I should have...) And got a really bad mark. Teacher suggested I drop (Then again, he also suggested half the class should, too.) But I'm not too sure... I mean, I've heard general maths scales about as well as a human turd would scale Mount Everest.

I'm apprehensive and worried, and I really don't think a tutor will help all that much---And anyway, I don't know of any good ones.

Please, some feedback? I'm at a loss =(

Duffman0

HSC
Other subjects:

1. Advanced english.
2. Extension english.
3. Physics (Probably dropping next year, teacher is THAT bad.)
4. Chemistry.
5. Studies of Religion 1.
6. IPT

huhwotsthis

HSC
Firstly, do your career aspirations require mathematics? If so, then don't drop it!!!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Keep it.

You can make this decision at the start of year 12.

Duffman0 said:
I've heard general maths scales about as well as a human turd would scale Mount Everest.
Hahahaha!

Duffman0

HSC
:p I saw this one coming.
You see, my career aspirations aren't so...well, structured.

After about 3 years of heavy thinking I've narrowed it down some.
1. Something in law.
2. Something in science (Pref. Medicine, but good luck to that :p)
3. Something using lots of english. (But hey, since when has something in english raked in money? Besides writers.)

HSC
If you are looking to drop physics too maybe you should maths for now (or drop to general math), depending on what your other subject selections are (if you want to pick up ee2 or something). you have to make sure you have at least ten units to work with if you want a uai.

HSC
well like u i was doing mathematics last yr and was suking real bad at it... i however stuk with it till the end of yr 11 and then dropped at the beginig of yr 12 and had to catch up on all the previous work they had done that yr.... so my suggestion to u is think about wat u want in ur future and if ur not too sre right now then keep it... just keep in mind that if u drop later on ur gonna ahve to catch up on all the work.......
oh and just a suggestion if ur gonna be dropping pysics next yr may i suggest to u that u then pick up senior science... it just means u have 12 units which helps if u want a uai as they can then pick ur best subjects

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Duffman0 said:
general maths scales about as well as a human turd would scale Mount Everest.
So true.

Just keep at it.

if you can do physics, then theres no reason why you can't do 2U math so i say stick with it. if you drop math, you may as well drop physics, because you'll be facing similar problems when you do projectile motion, and kinematics as well.

huhwotsthis

HSC
Law/ English wouldn't require maths (Ithink), and since Law's uai cut-off is soo high, I'd advise dropping the subject which would possibly ugh...prevent you from gettin there, and if that's maths...drop it. But then, in regards to science, maths may be necessary. So say if you don't make law without maths :)(), you may not be able to get into science without maths. Maths is assumed knowledge in a lot of uni courses....see how it goes this year with extra effort...and decide later.:)

Duffman0

HSC
huhwotsthis said:
Law/ English wouldn't require maths (Ithink), and since Law's uai cut-off is soo high, I'd advise dropping the subject which would possibly ugh...prevent you from gettin there, and if that's maths...drop it. But then, in regards to science, maths may be necessary. So say if you don't make law without maths :)(), you may not be able to get into science without maths. Maths is assumed knowledge in a lot of uni courses....see how it goes this year with extra effort...and decide later.:)
Well, I've said that the physics teacher is so bad we're not getting most of the content anyway. -Sigh- See. It's a big dillema >.<

munchiecrunchie

HSC
don't be disheartened by one test. think about it. its ONE test.

you need to think about it more wholistically.

is maths your weakest subject? do you really struggle to grasp the concepts? or do you just underperform in exams?

also, see if there is any more room for improvement. if you think a tutor may help improve your marks, trial one. I would suggest you hold onto maths and see how you go in the next assessment. Give it your best shot. Don't give up as of yet.

Also, you may want to review your revision methods. Make sure you don't just go over theory, but actually practice it too. Practice will dramatically improve your results.

If you find that nothing is improving your results, then yeah, drop it, but since its still yr 11 for you, there's no harm in holding onto it.

huhwotsthis

HSC
The physics teacher at my school is bad too. My friend said he makes up his own formulas (instead of using the textbook) and ends up getting the wrong answer. Essentially, he's failing yr 11 physics.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Duffman0 said:
Other subjects:

1. Advanced english.
2. Extension english.
4. Chemistry.
6. IPT
Plus Mathematics, that's 13 units.
If you drop Physics, that's 11 units. You can't drop Maths.
You need to decide between Math and Physics.
If you're good at English, then stick to the law idea and work hard. You just seem to be all over the place, mixing humanities and sciences.

EDIT: Or...
You could drop both Math and Physics, however, you'd have to pick up Ext2 English to make up 10 units. You won't have any "security" or "back-up" units though. If you screw up, that's it. Speak to your careers adviser.

bored of sc

HSC
hmmmm, I'd say drop it as it seems you are more english and humanity based but I'm sure you could do it if you put your mind to it :)

Duffman0

HSC
Conspiración said:
Plus Mathematics, that's 13 units.
If you drop Physics, that's 11 units. You can't drop Maths.
You need to decide between Math and Physics.
If you're good at English, then stick to the law idea and work hard. You just seem to be all over the place, mixing humanities and sciences.

EDIT: Or...
You could drop both Math and Physics, however, you'd have to pick up Ext2 English to make up 10 units. You won't have any "security" or "back-up" units though. If you screw up, that's it. Speak to your careers adviser.
12 units. I can only drop 2 units. And it's not going to be the maths.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Duffman0 said:
Other subjects:

1. Advanced english.
2. Extension english.
4. Chemistry.
6. IPT
English - 2 units
Extension English - 1 unit
Physics - 2 units
Chemistry - 2 units
SoR 1 - 2 units
IPT - 2 units
Mathematics - 2 units
Total: 13 units

Is my maths shit or is yours?
13 - 2 (maths) = 11
11 - 2 (physics) = 9
9 + 1 (ext2 english) = 10

Duffman0

HSC
SOR 1 ....

=P The 1 isn't random.

## I'm not THAT bad at maths XD
But it's not your fault. I should've added the unit (Yes, I'm lazy sometimes.)

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Duffman0 said:
SOR 1 ....

=P The 1 isn't random.

## I'm not THAT bad at maths XD
But it's not your fault. I should've added the unit (Yes, I'm lazy sometimes.)
Ahh, okay.
I read you could only do 1 SoR course - but I didn't know it was only 1 unit.
Shrugs.
Up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)