Maths- help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post this in but I'll post it anyway.
I need help with a decision on which maths to do. I got really sick last year and missed a bunch of work in Advanced Maths. Normally I'd be able to catch up pretty quickly but the after effects of this virus I had have been long lasting, its become a chronic fatigue sort of this. Its really affecting my ability to understand things and to concentrate in class. Maths was the worst hit out of all my subjects, I can't understand any new concepts anymore! I started failing every test, no matter how much work I put into them.
I'm considering dropping down to general maths so I can stop stressing about maths all the time.
What do you recommend?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you're trying your best and still failing tests, then it would probably be in your interests to drop down to at least general.
Has this been happening only in maths or has it affected your other subjects as well?

evviebaby

HSC
i did general last yr and my mark was 89.... and i beat all of my friends in the UAI who were doing advanced...id suggests doing general cos its easy marks... but if u wanna do engo or similar at uni id suggests advanced cos otherwise u wont understand the concepts at uni

HSC
Riviet said:
If you're trying your best and still failing tests, then it would probably be in your interests to drop down to at least general.
Has this been happening only in maths or has it affected your other subjects as well?
It has been affecting my other subjects, maths has been the worst affected though. My other subjects have slowly come back up in marks; eg. 42% in my yearly in software I worked back up to marks in the 80s for topic tests and 90% in my first assesment but maths has stayed down. I used to do extension 1 but I dropped that at the start of this term and haven't found any 2U any easier at all.

evviebaby said:
i did general last yr and my mark was 89.... and i beat all of my friends in the UAI who were doing advanced...id suggests doing general cos its easy marks... but if u wanna do engo or similar at uni id suggests advanced cos otherwise u wont understand the concepts at uni
I'm not really sure what I want to do at Uni, maybe a science degree, but I haven't come anywhere near close to deciding yet.

Thanks for the help so far.

HSC
Sorry to double post but does anyone else have any advice on what I should do? I need to make a decision pretty soon.

lala2

Banned
HSC
How many units do you have now? What are your marks and ranks in 2U Maths at the moment? Are you certain it will be the worst of all your subjects even if you dedicated all your time to it and neglected your other subjects? If the answer is yes to the last question, maybe you should consider dropping to General.

Have a look at the General syllabus, so that you've got some idea of what it involves.

HSC
lala2 said:
How many units do you have now? What are your marks and ranks in 2U Maths at the moment? Are you certain it will be the worst of all your subjects even if you dedicated all your time to it and neglected your other subjects? If the answer is yes to the last question, maybe you should consider dropping to General.

Have a look at the General syllabus, so that you've got some idea of what it involves.
I've got 10 units (11 including Catholic Studies but it doesn't count towards the UAI).
My marks and ranks in 2U:
Year 11 yearly- 36%. Last.
1st assesment- 36%. Last.
It's my worst subject by far. I'm in the top 2 in software, top 3 in Geography, top 2 in Chemistry, top 10 in advanced English and dead last in 2U maths.
On your last question, I'm really not sure what the answer would be. I used to be pretty good at maths, nothing clicks anymore though. It still would be probably one of my worst subjects.
Thanks for your help.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
GoManly said:
I've got 10 units (11 including Catholic Studies but it doesn't count towards the UAI).
My marks and ranks in 2U:
Year 11 yearly- 36%. Last.
1st assesment- 36%. Last.
It's my worst subject by far. I'm in the top 2 in software, top 3 in Geography, top 2 in Chemistry, top 10 in advanced English and dead last in 2U maths.
On your last question, I'm really not sure what the answer would be. I used to be pretty good at maths, nothing clicks anymore though. It still would be probably one of my worst subjects.
Thanks for your help.
yeah i was considered good at maths when i was younger, but then i got lazy throughout the years. hence the maths im doing now.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
GoManly said:
Are you doing general now?
yep, but like some people have said it's better to drop maths if your gonna do general. i would but i don't have enough units ..

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I suggest that you drop down to general maths. Marks aside, if you think that you cannot improve those marks significantly in the next couple of terms, then you should drop down to general maths and give yourself a better chance to do well in the HSC.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Since in your case that maths will count towards UAI, and you are struggling with it now, then it would be probably a good idea to drop down to general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)