Maths Mistakes (1 Viewer)

G.O.A.T

HSC
I was wondering what is the best way to get rid of silly mistakes in maths, is it just repetition or is there a better way?

G.O.A.T

HSC
For this you need to consider the nature of the mistake. Based on this, revise the relevant content, and then attempt multiple questions relevant to the area in which you made mistakes.
Thanks, I will do that

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
Dw when I was told to diff tan^-1(x^3) for the adv test, I treated the angle as 3x

Apologies to anyone I dissed with the “Should have gone to specsavers”.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You could try read out stuff you're writing in your head so if you write "3 x 2 = 9", in your head it'll be like "three times two equals 9" and you'll be like oh wait a minute, it's wrong. Also practice at home under timed conditions because pressure/time limit could be adding to your mistakes.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Reflection on your answers... ask yourself "is my answer reasonable?" Not "is my answer right?" as that is more difficult to judge, but looking for evidence of a mistake.

Taking the example given above, where was taken as in differentiating :

Looking at this answer, I am using the Chain Rule so I am expecting to see a part that looks like the derivative of an inverse tan function (which is present) and also a part that looks like the derivative of a cube - in other words, a in my answer - and this is missing. This points to a mistake being present.

tito981

HSC
If its small arithmetic errors just put everything into a calculator, if its mistakes with applying a formula just grind it out more, if its errors with understanding what the question is asking write out all the information the question gives and write done the thing you are required to find, if its difficulty in understanding a concept then look at a different textbooks approach.

YonOra

HSC
I just write down all of the common mistakes i make in a book, and go over it before my test.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I just write down all of the common mistakes i make in a book, and go over it before my test.
yes I also used to have mistakes books not just for common but for all mistakes, by the time hsc came I had a stack of these books and they were actual lifesavers! you learn more from your mistakes than the questions you get right

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
yes I also used to have mistakes books not just for common but for all mistakes, by the time hsc came I had a stack of these books and they were actual lifesavers! you learn more from your mistakes than the questions you get right
If I were to make a book that complied all my mistakes in Maths, would be thicker than the Bible, Dictionary and the Constitution combined.

YonOra

HSC
If I were to make a book that complied all my mistakes in Maths, would be thicker than the Bible, Dictionary and the Constitution combined.
That's why i put down common mistakes. It's a bit futile to put down a mistake like 3 x 2 = 9 in the book you did once at like 12am. These kind of mistakes you should correct with the given advice above

Directrix

Forklift Certified
HSC
That's why i put down common mistakes. It's a bit futile to put down a mistake like 3 x 2 = 9 in the book you did once at like 12am. These kind of mistakes you should correct with the given advice above
Yeah I'm talking about those, I'm just munted with Maths ngl, blind as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)