Maths......scale? (1 Viewer)

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
Is there much difference in scaling for Adv Maths and General Maths this year?

qwerty44

HSC
Maths Adv scales better than General, it will always be better. To find out the difference exactly this year you will have to wait until the end of the year when exams are marked, then scaling can be determined for each subject.

enoilgam

HSC
Is there much difference in scaling for Adv Maths and General Maths this year?
Scaling is determined at the end of the year by the UAC, so its impossible to know exactly from now. Although I'd think its fair to say that general will probably scale way less then advanced maths.

Bigbang34

HSC
N/A
Has there been a big or small difference with Adv and general maths in the past years?

enoilgam

HSC
To get 90+, do I need 5 band 6s?what happen if I get 1 or 2 band 5? Is there any hope to get 90+
It depends on what subjects you do, but generally speaking you dont need all band 6s for 90 (some people dont even get one band 6 and they still make 90). Try experimenting with an ATAR calculator to see what final marks equal what ATAR.

Lolly_Polly

HSC
It depends on what subjects you do, but generally speaking you dont need all band 6s for 90 (some people dont even get one band 6 and they still make 90). Try experimenting with an ATAR calculator to see what final marks equal what ATAR.
Chem, Physics, Bio, 2u Maths and Standard English

D94

HSC
N/A
To get 90+, do I need 5 band 6s?what happen if I get 1 or 2 band 5? Is there any hope to get 90+
It's a bit misleading when people say you need x amount of Band 6's etc. for a 90+ ATAR. UAC does not use your HSC mark to determine your ATAR. They use a combination of your "moderated assessment mark + raw HSC exam mark" to determine your ATAR.

People only say Band 5/6 because it's easier to comprehend, but it's very misleading. You can get all low-mid Band 6's and not hit 98 ATAR, or you can get all mid-high Band 6's and not hit 99 ATAR.

So of course there is "hope", you just need to perform well from now on.

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
Even the UAC doesn't know what the scaling is until the exams are marked.
Of course, Maths, Extension 1 and Extension 2 scale way better than that bull**** called general. If you wanna do maths, at least do 2 unit. NEVER GENERAL. The scaling is SO BAD

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Just because there's an English Standard and an English Advanced doesn't mean what was formerly known as 2U Mathematics is now Advanced Maths...

enoilgam

HSC
Just because there's an English Standard and an English Advanced doesn't mean what was formerly known as 2U Mathematics is now Advanced Maths...
Sounds better than just plain Mathematics imo. Thats why most people (shamelessly myself included) say advanced maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)