• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths SSP and Chem labs (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
OK, I got selected for MATH1906 and unfortunately my timetable clashes with one of the sessions for this unit. Any changes I make to my timetable do not work out well to suit my circumstances. Currently I have Chemistry lab sessions interfering with all the MATH1906 sessions as well as with any changes I make. My current timetable has a Chemistry lab session clashed with a tutorial.

Looking at the times allocated for chemistry labs, I notice that there is a session wich fits perfectly in a gap within my timetable. Unfortunately, timetable changes do not allow this to happen. It would be ideal if I could switch to that particular session. Is it possible to request that specific change?

If not, I am aware that we are able to take normal MATH1901 tutorials with permission from the coordinator, but I recall him saying that would be a last resort and he would prefer it that we stick to the MATH1906 tutorials. I hope I don't have to resort to this, and I can switch to that particular Chemistry lab session.

tennille

HSC
You'll need to go to the madsen building to get it changed in person. I think tomorrow is the last day to do that.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So it is actually possible to get that specific lab session change?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
So it is actually possible to get that specific lab session change?
Damn it, why did they have to the information session and selection on Thursday.....

tezza6189

professional time waster
HSC
They kinda screwed a few things up this year because the course we can do for TSP maths (math3065 logic and foundation) and SSP maths tutorial clash. I can't even make it to the tutorial for 1906 because math3065 lecture is on the same time. and 1906 seminar (the tuesdae arvo one) clashes with my the software lecture (which aplies to both 1901 and 1001 students), which means I have to skip half my software lectures to do SSP.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I guess they didn't think anyone would do Maths SSP AND Maths TSP.....

tezza6189

professional time waster
HSC
btw
how come you can't move things into gaps over the internet? I had similar problem with one of the TSP third year lectures and my physics lab session. I moved it at myuni via the timetable unit...now I'm worried I haven't done the right thing...lol.

webby234

HSC
N/A
A bit of a late response but still.

I also have the Chem Lab clashing with 1906 Tutorial, so I was told i could just go to my normal tutorial (I have the 1901 lecturer as my tutor anyway).

Did you end up doing SSP Maths? Do I know you? :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Anyone currently in MATH1906, can you please help with the assignment?!

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
There's really nothing special about the SSP tutorial. From memory we just talked and did no work.

Kohel's assignment should just be some algebra in cryptography.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
It should just be some algebra? I don't think so. There's heaps of thinking involving abstract algebra. With the assignment, I pretty much know what the question wants after filtering through the mathematical jargon and notation, but I either have no idea how I am going to answer it or don't know if my attempts are correct.
E.g. how to prove something is a monoid homomorphism by somehow relating generalised sets/co-domains to x and y values and proving the definition is true for all elements of that set......? (am I using the terminology right? lol)

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I'm not sure how your binary operator is defined in the monoid set, but basically with that proof you have to show that it holds the properties of monoid homomorphism for all generalised x and y in your mappings.

So suppose f:R->S is a function, to show that it is a monoid homomorphism you need to show f(xy)=f(x)f(y) and f(eR)=eS, where e is the identity.

Just like any other algebra course.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
See that's the thing. I know that you have to prove that f(xy) = f(x)f(y) and the identity elements, but I don't know how to do the proof.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I know it's too late, but what are your sets and operators defined as?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)