• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths syllabus ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys I'm studying for mathematics (self tuition) because I need it for uni, I found some of my old brother and sisters mathematics (and 3 unit ) text books. My sisters text book is from 1993 and my brothers from 1998, has the syllabus remained the same, has the syllabus changed for 2u as well as 3u since then?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
According to my Head of Maths, the only change in the Maths syllabus in the past 20 years or so is the split to Preliminary/HSC course (20% of the Prelim course is accessible in the HSC anyway, so not much of a change). So you should be fine using those textbooks. :)

I_F

HSC
this should keep me busy, do you think 3u/4u is possible on self tuition? ive got plenty of time up my sleeve

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I'd recommend that you consult with a teacher/someone who's already done it at least once a fortnight, if not weekly - especially with 4 unit stuff. Some things you'll pick up much faster with someone else there helping. Apart from that, if you're committed and put the work in, there's no reason why you can't teach yourself 3 unit and 4 unit (even if you need some help on the way). :)

I_F

HSC
my brother/sister got 96 / 98 for 2u and 48/50 (both) for 3u, so I guess they know it but from 7 years ago ? :(
thanks for the offer :D i will probably nag you guys for help, i am the family shame for not doing a hard maths

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Your brother/sister may not remember all their maths knowledge because it has been 7 years and in that time, you forget alot lol. My cousin's in 3rd year and she's forgotten almost all her 4u maths knowledge only becuase she hasn't used it in her uni courses.

P

pLuvia

You could probably self tutor yourself for 2u and 3u, but 4u might be a bit hard?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
im a shocker, i dont even kno my timestables.......should i start with a year 10 maths books?
Yes. :D
If that's too hard then move down to junior high school text books. And read your way up to 2/3 unit level.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
sorry to crash your thread casmira.........but i need to teach myself maths aswell..... i need to learn 2u and 3u maths for uni, any got tips onwhat books i should start with.?? (im a shocker, i dont even kno my timestables.......should i start with a year 10 maths books?
How about this :D

HSC
this is the kirkpatrick book i have its my sisters, she bought it at least 12 years ago (did her hsc in 1993, can you guys tell me if its up to scratch or if i should buy a new book for 2u) (i want to start doing 3u a little bit after i polish up my basics of 2u)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yes, fitzpatrick hasnt changed since then. I used the same book.

HSC
Sweet :D this book was $34.95 12 years ago! (looking at price tag now from dymocks)

P

pLuvia

Can't you do a bridging course in uni? or are you just studying because you have the time, and don't want to do it in uni?

HSC
ill do it at uni anyway, but im bored so i need somethign to occupy my mind apart from what i did last summer holidays and that was; work, play computer games, sleep xall summer for hte past 4 years

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
The fitzpatrick 2u book is excellent. You could essentially use it as the foundation of your entire mathematical knowledge, though it would be best for somebody who already has some mahematical base, such as the HSC general maths course.

Also regarding learning maths from scratch, I would personally recommend you go and take a look at the nearest Kumon centre and try it for a month. That will cost you 90 dollars. A small price to pay if you like it. I personally found it excellent for catching up on, and going ahead in, mathematics. My instructor is from the Lithgow Kumon centre, and I can say she's probably one of the best you're going to get.

http://www.kumon.com.au/
The Lithgow centre: http://www.kumon.com.au/offices/viewcentre.asp?f_StudyCenterID=1682

Finally, don't be disheartened if you find it hard teaching yourself the maths. Something to keep in mind is that, while you do want to learn the concepts, you are no longer studying to outsmart an exam committee. You're now learning to keep up with the new concepts you get at uni, so while you may want to give something like circle geometry a cursory glance, do not spend inordinate amounts of time on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)