Maths with computing (1 Viewer)

Raginsheep

HSC
I noticed that at the back of the Actuarial Studies Programs green booklet that I can apparently do a science major in "mathematics with computing" which looks to be pretty interesting to me however I can't find any mention of it elsewhere. How does this exactally differ from the regular mathematics major and what courses would I need to pick if I wanted to do it?

implicity

HSC
Raginsheep said:
I noticed that at the back of the Actuarial Studies Programs green booklet that I can apparently do a science major in "mathematics with computing" which looks to be pretty interesting to me however I can't find any mention of it elsewhere. How does this exactally differ from the regular mathematics major and what courses would I need to pick if I wanted to do it?
I've been thinking about the same thing because that's what I'd be interested in doing too. I think it's basically just computer-related maths subjects.. unless it really IS a maths major with a minor in compsci :D
Hmm someone inform us! :)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
implicity said:
I've been thinking about the same thing because that's what I'd be interested in doing too. I think it's basically just computer-related maths subjects.. unless it really IS a maths major with a minor in compsci :D
Hmm someone inform us! :)
Yes, that's pretty close to the mark...I think it's meant to be the Advanced Science program in Mathematics and Computing. I don't think it would fit into the combined degree - it's better off doing either computer science or applied mathematics (which has numerical computing subjects).

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Seraphim, how many hours do you put into your study time in order to get D and HD?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
In 1st yr, you don't need to study that consistently and rate urself based on hrs of study. ideally, you should 2-3 days worth of preparation of the material before each quiz to catch up and 1-2wks to revise for the final.

for those doing 2nd yr maths in engineering/science, there is significantly more work.

Raginsheep

HSC
How often are the quizes and do they just test stuff from the week before or is it more of anything thats been done? Do they give you warnings of whats in the quizes?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Raginsheep said:
How often are the quizes and do they just test stuff from the week before or is it more of anything thats been done? Do they give you warnings of whats in the quizes?
Only advice I can give is just to try keep up with the work which is difficult enough let alone study what you've done in the previous weeks.

Raginsheep, your question is too general, all courses will have quizes for different weeks. Usually and I must stress this word "usually", you will never get quiz on things which have not been covered by a tutorial. You may have a quiz at the end of a tutorial and the work to be tested may include that tutorial's work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)