mathsss (1 Viewer)

stressedadfff

HSC
hey guys does anyone know the solution to the equations?

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 4.57.03 pm.png

i also really need help with the following pls
Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 4.57.50 pm.png

icycledough

HSC
For the first question, a PDF has 2 criteria: f(x) is greater or equal than 0 for all x and that the area under the curve is 1. The first one is quite evident from the graph. The second criteria just requires the area under the triangle, which is 1/2 x 4 x 1/2 = 1, as needed. For piecewise function, consider 2 parts of the graph, i.e the 2 lines.

You could have something like for x in between and including 0 and 2, the equation is y = x/4, and for x in between 2 and 4 (inclusive of 4), an equation like y = -x/4 + 1

icycledough

HSC
For the second question, part 1, I've attached the answer (because I can't type it out)IMG_6095.jpg

stressedadfff

HSC
For the first question, a PDF has 2 criteria: f(x) is greater or equal than 0 for all x and that the area under the curve is 1. The first one is quite evident from the graph. The second criteria just requires the area under the triangle, which is 1/2 x 4 x 1/2 = 1, as needed. For piecewise function, consider 2 parts of the graph, i.e the 2 lines.

You could have something like for x in between and including 0 and 2, the equation is y = x/4, and for x in between 2 and 4 (inclusive of 4), an equation like y = -x/4 + 1
i see, could you explain how you got the constant 1 pls

icycledough

HSC
For part 2, if a = pi / 3, and we know r = 63 / a (from what I circled at the top above), just sub it in and you should get the radius

icycledough

HSC
i see, could you explain how you got the constant 1 pls
As all the possible probabilities summed up add up to 1, that's how you get the constant 1. In terms of the diagram, it's just finding the area under the graph. As it's a triangle, you just go bh/2 (where b = base = 4, h = height = 1/2), then you just sub it in

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Note that, in @icycledough's solution, the result

is used, and it isn't in the Advanced syllabus, only in MX1.

However, you can add in the bisector of the angle , which will also perpendicularly bisect the chord (104 m) to give a right-angled triangle in which

This also saves the need to use the Sine Rule or to recognise that

icycledough

HSC
Note that, in @icycledough's solution, the result

is used, and it isn't in the Advanced syllabus, only in MX1.

However, you can add in the bisector of the angle , which will also perpendicularly bisect the chord (104 m) to give a right-angled triangle in which

This also saves the need to use the Sine Rule or to recognise that
Oh, I didn't realise the double sin angle result wasn't in the Advanced syllabus. I just couldn't see another way to go about it without using that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)