• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

mature age entry (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
what is this about ladies?
what if i am 21, had a shit UAI, can i get into a law course? what criteria applies to me? and does HECS work?

santaslayer

HSC
hatty said:
what is this about ladies?
what if i am 21, had a shit UAI, can i get into a law course? what criteria applies to me? and does HECS work?
I'm thinking it would depend on the university you are applying for. The basic criteria yiou have to meet include:

1) Being mature aged...some universities consider 25 instead of 21..
2) Sit the STAT test
3) Successful applicants also have to sit the Australian Law Schools Entry Test (ALSET)
4) Some also have a time limit set that states you cannot apply for these type of courses if your previous uni degree is less than 5 yrs old
5) Some unis will also look into your work related achievements...eg..paralegal work...

6) I don't think HECS applies, altough I'm not sure...You should be eligible for a student loan which acts like HECS...i think they call it PELS or something...not entirely sure..:)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
santaslayer said:
6) I don't think HECS applies, altough I'm not sure...You should be eligible for a student loan which acts like HECS...i think they call it PELS or something...not entirely sure..:)
I doubt it is PELS (Postgraduate Education Loans Scheme). As the name suggests, that is for Postgraduate students:).

doe

HSC
N/A
if you're keen on law theres also the legal practitoners admissions board diploma of law

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lpab.nsf/pages/bal_1

Instead of sitting the STAT, you may qualify as a Student-at-Law if you hold any of the qualifications listed on the application form. These include:

* a University degree
* a NSW Higher School Certificate and a UAI of at least 66 or a TER of at least 50 and a good pass in English (or interstate equivalent)
* a University or TAFE college Diploma, Advanced Diploma or Associate Diploma
* working as a paralegal or legal secretary for at least three years
* working as a police officer or registered nurse
theres heaps of different ways into uni, depends on what course and what uni. you can do non award study where you do some units but they dont count for your degree, and if you do well in them (usually a credit which isnt too hard to get) they let you enrol in a degree. macuni has the mature age jubilee scheme as well, where they dont look at your ter/uai. since law is very popular i dont htink non award lets you in, your best bet is to call the unis undergradute advice section.

i think hecs is for any undergraduate course, it doesnt matter how old you are. non award study isnt hecs'able

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
All local undergraduate students (citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders) are eligible for HECS, regardless of age. PELS is only for Masters, PhD etc.

Mature age entry is not "easier" than your standard HSC to uni transition, it's just a different pathway. You still need to roughly meet the actual requirements for the course (though more emphasis is placed on motivation than academia) and you still need to be able to handle the load.

santaslayer

HSC
but since they only do like two or three subjects a session, they have it easier. We have five...stupid mudbloods..:p

hatty

Banned
thanks for the replies

well i was only joking about law, what i meant was, if i get a shitty UAI, and wait till i am 21. can i do ANY bachelor course i want? including the hard (based on UAI) ones, like Law, Commerce, Medicine, or does it vary for each course?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You can certainly APPLY to any course (unless application restrictions exist) but whether or not you get in is a different story. High end courses will expect you to be on par with all other applicants, so it is actually harder for someone to get in through mature entry. You would need to demonstrate a) strong motivation and b) academic capability. If the HSC candidates look like they're more ready than you they will get a place and you won't.

Also, it's usually 25 not 21. You've got some years of waiting ahead.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
santaslayer said:
but since they only do like two or three subjects a session, they have it easier. We have five...stupid mudbloods..:p
That's to accomodate the other responsibilies mature age students usually have, like work or young children. There are just as many mature students who study full time.

santaslayer

HSC
Hey we have work too, some of us for 30 hours a week. (Well, not me, just an example from a friend, i dont work, but still)...ahaha..:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)