• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mechanical or Civil? Help! (1 Viewer)

GinoIs

HSC
Need to decide for my major.
Mechanical or Civil?

All views are welcomed, bias or nutural.
Just trying to make up my mind, but it's still 50-50 for me. And I don't want to do a double degree.

Mechanical:
Pro's:
Something I'm into; cars, engines, fundamental machinery etc.
Con's:
Less jobs than Civil
Less pay than Civil

Civil
Pro's:
Earn more money than Mech
More jobs on offer
Con's:
I'll probably get bored after 20years

Last edited:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
Both are very different.
->Civil is to do with planning, design and construction of buildings and bridges, dams, harbours, water supply systems, waste management systems, airports, roads, tunnels and railways.
->Mechanical deals with advanced manufacturing, metal forming technology, robotics, control of systems, computer aided design and manufacturing, air conditioning, bio-mechanics, powder technology and bearing dynamics.

Also there are way more jobs for civil currently. Besides the facts i would prefer mech as i find machinery very interesting and there are alot of applications which u can apply machanical to. Also what uni are you going to study engineering at? Also if u have any specific civil questions about civil i can ask my brother, as he studies and works full time as a civil engineer.

Last edited:

jannny

HSC
This sounds silly but I am concerned about how long civil engineers spend outdoors, as you know in summer its hot and you get sweaty and then smelly - quite uncomfortable :eek:

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
jannny said:
This sounds silly but I am concerned about how long civil engineers spend outdoors, as you know in summer its hot and you get sweaty and then smelly - quite uncomfortable :eek:
As a professional civil engineer you will only go outside to inspect your work, no hard labour or anything, there is surveying though, which is the hardest (smellly part) part of civil but its not back breaking lol. With civil your more in the office using auto-cad (drafting program) to design roads, drainage etc, you may also do estimating (to estimate job costs for a particular job etc).

Last edited:

jannny

HSC
awesome

thanks for info, appreciate it :)

Btw Im curious.. wat made you choose Telecomm engineering?

GinoIs

HSC
[FONT=&quot]
They're both different disciplinary but they've divided me.
Mechanical seems the more "edgy" occupation which doens't offer alot of jobs, but offers really cool jobs.
where as
Civil seems like your normal "9-5" occupation which offers alot of job and a more stable income.
(thanks for the reply Kebabci)
----------------------------
I've looked further and checked out the units for the first year.
The eight units are pretty much all the same except for one unit from each specialty

Mech has "Engineering Physics 1C"
where as
Civil has "Introduction into Sustainability"

... other than that, mech & civil have the same course structure for the first year.
[/FONT]

Kebabci Oglu

Professional member
HSC
jannny said:
awesome

thanks for info, appreciate it :)

Btw Im curious.. wat made you choose Telecomm engineering?
I really like electronics/ computer hardware stuff but also would enjoy studying maths and physics stuff, which are in telecom eng.

GinoIs said:
[FONT=&quot]
They're both different disciplinary but they've divided me.
Mechanical seems the more "edgy" occupation which doens't offer alot of jobs, but offers really cool jobs.
where as
Civil seems like your normal "9-5" occupation which offers alot of job and a more stable income.
(thanks for the reply Kebabci)
----------------------------
I've looked further and checked out the units for the first year.
The eight units are pretty much all the same except for one unit from each specialty

Mech has "Engineering Physics 1C"
where as
Civil has "Introduction into Sustainability"

... other than that, mech & civil have the same course structure for the first year.
[/FONT]
Thats alright then so if u decide to change majors u wont be too behind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)