Mechanics Workshop (1 Viewer)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Many of you on BoS have no problems with Mechanics. But there are some of you who could do with some help on this topic. As has been pointed out before, the "maths" in Mechanics is straightforward. So why do some 4U students still find it difficult? I have my own thinking on this - some of you, especially those not doing Physics, do not have a good grasps of the various basic concepts associated with Mechanics - such as Newton's laws of motion, displacement, velocity, acceleration, force, tension, normal reaction, friction etc etc. So I have designed a 2 x 3-hr [total: 6 hours] workshop to address these aspects.

The workshop will go over typical Questions from the following areas:

- 6.1: Mathematical Representation of a motion described in physical terms

- 6.2: Resisted Motion

- 6.3: Circular Motion

analysing the nature of such questions.

The workshop will explain in considerable detail, often relating to simple real-life observations, simple demo, and relating to the worked solutions, of the following:

- Newton's 3 laws of motion
- vectors: the parallelogram, triangle and polygon laws of vector addition
- vector resolution
- resultant force & resolution of forces
- equilibrium
- escape velocity
- terminal velocity
- sources of centripetal force (gravity, friction, tension, normal reaction . . . . )
- meaning & nature of: - normal reaction, tension, friction, light or weightless strings, rods etc
- when do we experience: - slipping, skidding, side thrust, departure from a surface, slacking of a string etc etc
- banked tracks, associated forces & geometry
- raised rails, associated forces & geometry
- conical pendulum [simple, on conical surface & inside conical surface], associated forces & geometry

Students from schools which will be covering Mechanics rather late in the 3rd term may not have enough time to master the subject and would also benefit from this workshop.

When: any 2 mornings or afternoons mutually convenient

Where: Eastwood or other mutually convenient venue (e.g. Strathfield or Parramatta Libraries) or your home[if not too far]

How much: 1-on-1 ($240)
Group of 2 to 4: ($150 each)

Full set of workshop notes will be provided.

If interested please PM me. Coming holidays is ideal time.

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Having briefly met Drongoski on one occasion and having a nice long chat (with delicious food) on another, I can tell you that he's not like most other tutors.

The reason is because he teaches you to UNDERSTAND as opposed to just rote learning "To balance the vertical force you do XXX, to balance the horizontal force, you do YYY, then you solve them simultaneously to get ZZZ", which is disadvantageous in so many ways.

1. Makes the topic seem bland.

2. Limits your ability to 'typical exam questions' and we already know that the HSC is changing to having more "Apply your knowledge" questions, so his style of teaching would be incredibly useful.

And what else can I say honestly? Great guy and from the last BOS Study Day (unofficial) very well liked by the students there.

Good luck =)

qwerty44

HSC
Good prices too. Even one-on-one is $40 /hr, which isn't too bad.

Chowder_Head

Banned
HSC
N/A
perfect for all you stupid wankers that live in the "HILLS". Just a different way of saying you live on a farm.

HSC
Uni Grad
Would definitely support Drongoski because not only he is a good mentor, he is actually a great tutor as well (Y).

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You can always arrange a 1-on-1 session (6 hours) any time convenient to you (& me). Just try my mechanics first and see if I'm OK.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Bump for Drong, he's great with maths, and the price is great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)