med (1 Viewer)

luba

I am looking for anyone that got into undergrad med. How is the UMAT & interview? Did u go 2 UMAT cources? what qs did they ask at the interview? do you have to fly over 4 interstate uni interviews? what UAI did u get 2 get into med?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
*waits for spicegirl to comeback and answer these questions*
u can do a bit of research into UMAT n stuff I assume, and there is an older thread in the "School" section of the forum where ppl were talking about the UMAT
I think UNSW and Newcastle are the only uni's with undergraduate medicine (someone correct me if im wrong), unless u actually do wanna go interstate

timmii

sporadic attendee
I know 3 ppl accepted to unsw med. One got 100, one got 99.65 (but was only accepted in late rounds) and one got 97.1

They are all fairly naturally intelligent, warm, friendly people that would have done well in the umat and interview. From the general sounds of the interview - they ask about your family and friends to get you talking but also to establish personality traits and attitudes. Hobbies (e.g musical talent), whether u held leadership positions at school etc...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Luba, I think you should have a good look at following links to UNSW Medicine and UNewcastle Medicine

also go to ACER and read about the UMAT there, because they write it...

I know both universities want us to apply prior to the HSC (some time soon), so yeah, if I get any more infoz I'll tell you at school or something...

And I think 3 guys in my school had it to Med, which is a good ratio...

*crosses-fingers* hope I get in too! :D

Last edited:

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by luba
I am looking for anyone that got into undergrad med. How is the UMAT & interview? Did u go 2 UMAT cources? what qs did they ask at the interview? do you have to fly over 4 interstate uni interviews? what UAI did u get 2 get into med?
I could probably write pages and pages on this, but as others have said, there are different answers for different universities. My first choice was UNSW med and it's the only place I applied to. Many of my friends applied all over the country, and yes, after HSC exams most of them were flying interstate to do their interviews.

I can only give you answers relating to UNSW though.

First round interviews for UNSW were during the holidays before the HSC last year. The questions they asked were of a personal nature (refer to timmii's post above), rather than visionary or based on reasoning, etc. This is because the UMAT tests reasoning and mental capacity to a certain extent. I did a prep course for UMAT and found it helpful. Many people say UMAT is the worst part of the three components most universities use to rank students for admission, but it really wasn't that bad.

My UAI was 99.85. Most universities also don't use the UAI alone anymore - so not everyone who gets high 99s will get in, and not everyone who gets less than that won't get in. 95 was the basic 'requirement' for UNSW, but from what I've been hearing you need at least high 97-98s to be considered.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I think u can do medicine at sydney university except that you have to be a bachelor of science graduate and have to sit a GAMSAT test.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I don't know if you have to be a science grad. I think you can apply for post grad medicine after having done anything you want.

sif not 99

syd uni will only look at ur GPA of any degree that you have completed.

in other words as timmii said you could do an arts degree and as long as ur GPA was good enough you will be considered

the snag is that for GAMSAT u need a first year uni knowledge of phys chem and bio, how u get that is by doing a sci degree or crammin up good if u dont

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)