• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

medical science? (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
hay im looking for some advice beyond what the uac guide and uts web page for medical science say.

bascially what im asking is if anyone has done this course and what u thought of it? (i.e. was it worth it?)

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
i know alot of people doing this course at uni.

but basically its a degree that teaches you what things ARE but not how to apply the things you learnt into practical use.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
Panda Bear said:
i know alot of people doing this course at uni.

but basically its a degree that teaches you what things ARE but not how to apply the things you learnt into practical use.
what is the use of that then? if you learn to become a scientist without being a scientist?? i mean could you explain- confusion begits confusion for yr12 students

Panda Bear

HSC
yeah i know what you mean...

i thought about transferring until i actually heard what the course is.

its a general degree not a specific one.. so i would imagine getting a job with it wouldn't be easy.

im doing b.biotech. which i would stick to coz after finding more about it, its a heaps fun course!

Panda Bear

HSC
biotech is "applied biology"

basically to give you an idea.

say organic tomatoes are shit. we biotechnologist alter their DNA to something that us humans would prefer that would be more of a benefit. get it?

or in human terms. we do research and if we find that a certain gene is causing diabetes, we alter that gene e.t.c.

so its like playing god if you may.. but its not. ;)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
how is that not playing god when you limit variation within a gene pool (selected products)

sounds interesting though- the kinda thing id be involved in or against- like a hippie

fillstar

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
hay im looking for some advice beyond what the uac guide and uts web page for medical science say.

bascially what im asking is if anyone has done this course and what u thought of it? (i.e. was it worth it?)
I did it for one year before transferring out to a different course at UTS.

You will enjoy it if your interested in learning about the real chemical and biological mechanics of human bodily functions.

First year studies teaches you basic human anatomy and functions, a fair bit of chemistry, biology, physics and cellar functions. It gets more indepth as you choose your focus studies such as pharmacology etc.

In 2005 UTS will have a huge upgrade to their science faculty... something to consider haha... nothing like a new building

Panda Bear:

Most graduates will tell you that alot of what you learn at uni merely scratches the surface of what you learn when you get out. Unless you're in those co-op scholarship courses.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
fillstar said:
I did it for one year before transferring out to a different course at UTS.

You will enjoy it if your interested in learning about the real chemical and biological mechanics of human bodily functions.

First year studies teaches you basic human anatomy and functions, a fair bit of chemistry, biology, physics and cellar functions. It gets more indepth as you choose your focus studies such as pharmacology etc.

In 2005 UTS will have a huge upgrade to their science faculty... something to consider haha... nothing like a new building.
thx for that
after going to the open day i really want to get into medical science- it look interesting

plus new building doesnt hurt

Panda Bear

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
thx for that
after going to the open day i really want to get into medical science- it look interesting

plus new building doesnt hurt

good the hear!

Panda Bear:

Most graduates will tell you that alot of what you learn at uni merely scratches the surface of what you learn when you get out. Unless you're in those co-op scholarship courses.
yeah i know.. im not dumb :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)