Medicine at UON? (1 Viewer)

Shoesta

HSC
Thoughts on the medical program at Newcastle? I'm concerned that it isn't prestigious enough, because obviously I'd like a successful surgery career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Thoughts on the medical program at Newcastle? I'm concerned that it isn't prestigious enough, because obviously I'd like a successful surgery career.

It is definitely possible to have a successful surgery career if you go to Newcastle, or other places. Basically, the university you go to isn't that important for Medicine, just getting in is. So you should probably apply everywhere you can and accept any place you get if you get an offer, if you want to study Medicine.

Shoesta

HSC
It is definitely possible to have a successful surgery career if you go to Newcastle, or other places. Basically, the university you go to isn't that important for Medicine, just getting in is. So you should probably apply everywhere you can and accept any place you get if you get an offer, if you want to study Medicine.
Thankyou! Greatly appreciated, quick response as well.

turntaker

HSC
Any university is fine for medicine.
I wouldn't worry about prestige since only a few universities offer undergraduate medicine and in order to do so, they must meet the medical standards set in Australia(which are pretty high relative to everywhere else).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Any university is fine for medicine.
I wouldn't worry about prestige since only a few universities offer undergraduate medicine and in order to do so, they must meet the medical standards set in Australia(which are pretty high relative to everywhere else).
Yea - Australians like to remind themselves they are the best or have the best in the world.

- sweetest oranges

- best beef & steak

- best cricketers

- best swimmers

- best Maths standards in school

- best submarine builders

- the best cherries

- (among the) best medical programs

etc etc

But actually, for a small country, Australia has been doing pretty well in the medical sciences.

Last edited:

popandi22

HSC
Just out of curiosity, what are the requirements for Undergrad Med at UON?

A1P

HSC
Just out of curiosity, what are the requirements for Undergrad Med at UON?
First hurdle: non-rural Atar 94.3, rural 91.4
Second hurdle: Umat 50/50/50 minimum, S1 score >~61 to get an interview
Third hurdle: after PQA/interview be in the top 170 out of ~750 interviewees.

greenlander

HSC
thanks for info re requirements. So is UON like UNSW, do they fill the non bonded places first (so if you got a good mark and ticked bonded you would be offered a non bonded place) then the bonded ones next? And do you get a choice ie eg offered a bonded place at UNSW and say a non bonded place at UON? I rang them and they weren't sure and no one was answering their phones to ask she said. I can't remember if UON had a bonded and non bonded box like UNSW ?

A1P

HSC
So is UON like UNSW, do they fill the non bonded places first (so if you got a good mark and ticked bonded you would be offered a non bonded place) then the bonded ones next?
Yes all the unis do this^. Which one you get also depends on the wording and your choice (if any) of the Unbonded/Bonded tick boxes. If it means Unbonded only they cut you off before getting to Bonded, if it means Bonded preferred they give you one even if you qualify for Unbonded, if it means you don't mind Bonded you still get Unbonded if qualified etc.

Within UAC you'll only be notified of ONE offer, being the highest on your pref list that you qualify for. If you want a choice between Unsw & UoN you need to accept the one offer first then move it to bottom of pref list, hopefully you might get the other in 2nd round place offers to choose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)