• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Medicine Interview Training (1 Viewer)

medinterview

HSC
If anyone requires med interview training, please contact me at medicine.interview@gmail.com

I have received offers from all the universities(UNSW, UWS, UNCLE/UNE, JCU, Monash, UAde) i sat an interview with, despite relatively low uai and umat marks.
My experience has taught me the knowledge to what is required for a successful interview and I'd be more than happy to pass that knowledge on to you.

Cheers

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
how do u get offers from UNSW, UNCLE, and UWS? they are all under UAC and you can only get 1 offer.
and i dont get how u can get an interview/offer at all at UNSW and Monash with a "relatively low uai and umat". u are automatically disqualifed from UNSW if ur combined uai/umat doesnt reach their threshold which is very high. and monash required a 93rd percentile (also very high).
sorry if i sound accusatory, but a lot of things in ur post dont add up.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
how do u get offers from UNSW, UNCLE, and UWS? they are all under UAC and you can only get 1 offer.
and i dont get how u can get an interview/offer at all at UNSW and Monash with a "relatively low uai and umat". u are automatically disqualifed from UNSW if ur combined uai/umat doesnt reach their threshold which is very high. and monash required a 93rd percentile (also very high).
sorry if i sound accusatory, but a lot of things in ur post dont add up.
Maybe by offer he means interview offers. Still, I find it hard to believe. Someones just made an account to have some fun.

Daveky

HSC
I thought med programs were graduate programs?

Can you get in just out of school?

hsc in 2008 means you cant have done some degree already, what degree's did you get into or get an interview for?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
I thought med programs were graduate programs?

Can you get in just out of school?

hsc in 2008 means you cant have done some degree already, what degree's did you get into or get an interview for?
There are quite a few med schools for undergrad: UWS, UTAS, JCU, Uadel, UWA, Uncle/UNE, Bond, Monash, etc. Many other graduate universities such as Anu, Usyd, Flinders, UQ, Griffith, etc have special entry schemes typically for very high achieving year 12 students.

Last edited:

medinterview

HSC
in response to Freshofftheboat, you are correct that you only receive one offer from uac, but you forget that applies per round. so it technically is possible to get an offer from every medical school that goes through uac. does that help? but kudos to you for picking up on that, it's good to be cynical, you'll only get ripped off if you're naive.

furthermore, with my uai and umat, i was not even meant to have an interview at UNSW. I only received an interview at UNSW as my predicted UAI was well above my actual uai. hence my performance in the interview must have been well above satisfactory to have obtained a position. and yes the umat cut off for monash was 93, which is what i received. yes it is a good umat score, but relative to the competitors who also had an interview with monash, it is relatively low (afterall it was the cut off mark). i don't mean to blow my horn, but I understand what it takes to excel in the interview, the greatest hurdle of them all.

so once again if anyone is interested in being more competitive for a medical spot, feel free to contact me at the above address.

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
cynical is a bit harsh dont u think. im sure to get the umat score u did, you would need at least some degree of thinking "critically".

so u are saying that you got an offer from ur 3rd pref uni in round 1, then got upgraded to 2nd pref in round 2 and 3rd pref in final round? ok thats technically possible, but highly unlikely if UNSW is ur first pref uni. i know for a fact that there were only a few UNSW bonded spots that were rejected and re offered in 2nd round, let alone final.

but back on the point. u do know that if u get ur interview because of a overpredicted UAI, you cannot gain a place at UNSW.
consider the case where two students have identical UMAT+UAI. one student had a slightly higher predicted and hence got an interview, while the other one missed out. even if the first student did extremely well in the interview, UNSW will not offer them a place in their course simply to make it so that something as trivial as a prediction isnt the determining factor in getting into med.
perhaps u were fortunate enough to slip past?

-Equilibrium-

HSC
i dont think we should criticize him .. he might mean like low 90s + 95ish atar

umm i have a friend who graduated in 07, got an offer from melbourne, accepted but called up monash to ask if he would have been given a placement.. and apparently would of if he didnt have melbourne as no.1 choice :confused:

maybe we should let him talk before anyone critises him :)

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
i dont think we should criticize him .. he might mean like low 90s + 95ish atar
On a side note. Your like the first person I know whos completely made the transition to atar. Or maybe its just me, but i cant get outa the habbit of UAI =\

medinterview

HSC
well obviously you dont know the heap of people that got last round offers
and im not the only one who got a med spot despite not satisfying the criteria for an interview position. there's one who even got an unbonded position. for some reason i don't think we're slipping through the system, we might have actually excelled in the interview. but if we are slipping through, then i guess we're very fortunate

you can ask anyone who is a first year med student at UNSW and they'll testify there's a student who is in med who didn't satisfy the criteria for an interview spot. furthermore, you're right i got an offer each round, uncle then uws then unsw. unlikely, but yep gotta say that life is good

i enjoy your attention to detail

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i also once believe that if you excelled in the interview, you would be offered a place regardless of your ATAR/UMAT. i had friends who called up in previous years and asked the med faculty. i have also spoken to students at UNSW and they have given me the same answer.

just for the interest of others here is the scenario once again:
two students X and Y attend the same school, end up getting the same UMAT score, but different predictions. as a result, X gets an interview, Y doesnt. their ATARs end up being the same, and the ATAR/UMAT combo isnt enuff to obtain an interview. therefore Y misses out. sois it then fair for X to gain an spot, simply based upon a misestimated ATAR? what is there to say Y is not a more suitable canditate, but missed out because his/her principal gave them a conservative estimate? once again, UNSW supposedly account for this. however, whether they carry thru or not is another matter.

and being upgraded for 3 rounds in a row is definitely very fortunate. perhaps, you were destined for UNSW. and kudos for stepping up into a bonded place over unbonded at other unis. fufilling the shortage in areas of need deserves respect.
anyways, peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)