• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medicine? (1 Viewer)

NubMuncher

HSC
What is the ATAR cutoff to be offered an interview for medicine at UNSW or Usyd?

Also, what are the alternative pathways into medicine? I have heard it is possible to get in through Medical Science but not sure on that.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The general median ATAR for each year hovers around the 99.95 mark (yes, I know that's the maximum). Also remember your UMAT score is taken into consideration as well.

NubMuncher

HSC
Ohhhh i see now.

So would it be possible to get into medicine with a high UMAT and say a high 98 - 99 ATAR?

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Theoretically that would be possible if the UMAT score was beyond uber.

But USyd is insanely competitive so you need to give yourself the best chance possible in each area.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
for unsw

to be offered an interview in the 1st round, it mainly depended on ur UMAT and a bit of ur ATAR estimate. Because most kids applying are predicted to get 98+, they look more towards the UMAT results for interview.

So for the 1st round of interview, the cut off umat was 58 i.e. 85 percentile and you were looking at an atar estimate of 99+. However if ur umat was high e.g. a score of say 63 i.e. 95 percentile? then the predicted atar cut off drops down to like 97.

however as most kids who achieved the top atar and UMAT and been offered a spot for interview in the 1st round, 2nd round of med interviews tend to accept lower atar and UMAT. I believe the UMAT cut off for normal applicants was like 56 and u were looking at an atar of 98.5-99.5. However some spots were saved for EAS applicants so i think there were a few spots for those applicants. The lowest I heard from an EAS applicant being offered a med interview was with a umat score of 53 i.e. 68 percentile? and an atar of 98.40.

It really depends on how people do in UMAT and their ATAR to actually determine the cut off.

An alternative that lots of people do is post grad medicine but this is at USYD and not UNSW. UNSW does not offer post grad medicine. This means u complete an undergraduate course and then u sit GAMSAT (equivalent fo umat but for those with a tertiary degree). The med degree then becomes 4 years instead of the 6 years but do not u are looking at completing like a 3 year degree beforehand.

UNSW has an alternative way in and that is through the Graduate Scheme which is strictly restricted to Medical Science Students. I am not sure of which year you apply, its either later in 2nd year or 3rd(final) year of the medical science degree. You are required to sit UMAT and they then assess ur WAM? think its wam not sure. Then they select u for an interview. Approximately about 100 or so medical science students apply to trasnfer into med through this scheme but it is limited to only about 10 or 15 spots. So competition is really tough.

thats probs all the alternatives to getting into medicine. Either post grad it at USYD or do medical science and transfer into med in final year.

UWS is slightly different with their selection. Once you get the okay from your school with a predicted atar of 96+ you are immediately considered for medicine and then they enitrely look at your umat for interview selection. In the end as long as you get 96+ ATAR you can be considered a spot for medicine. They no longer look at your ATAR for offering spots. So technically speaking it is easier to enter UWS medicine if your atar is lower as it is onyl determined by UMAT 33.33% and Interview 66.66% once you get an atar of 96+. Interview selection like I said is entirely based on UMAT however, they apply a formula to your results to change the score and then select candiates from there.

The weighting ratio given to each section of UMAT paper is roughly 1:1:0.5 i.e. Section 3 the non verbal reasoning section is given the least consideration for interview offers and because of this my score of 83 in Section 3 is barely considered.

as for UWS second round interviews I do not know.

hope that wasnt confusing as i did this quickly.

HSC
Uni Grad
USyd don't take your UMAT scores since it's not undergrad med, they just take your ATAR (99.95).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)