• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Melbourne Uni, who to call? to improve your chances of getting a second round offer (1 Viewer)

supressive

HSC
Hey just wondering if anyone knows who i should call to state my interest in doing a commerce undergrad degree at melb and therefore improve my chances of receiving a second round offer. my enter is a few points below the clearly in enter for the degree. would it be best for me to call the faculty or the melb admissions office. thanks guys

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Re: Melbourne Uni, who to call? to improve your chances of getting a second round off

I'm not sure about the commerce dept, but probably the course coordinator if you can find them. Never just talk to the admin person (likely to be the first person who picks up the phone).

doink

Clone
HSC
Re: Melbourne Uni, who to call? to improve your chances of getting a second round off

Second round offers usually have a higher uai cut-off to get into.

Ringing someone won't get you in no matter how much you want to do it.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

Second round offers usually have a higher uai cut-off to get into.

Ringing someone won't get you in no matter how much you want to do it.
If you get the right person (ie. other than an admin person), there is a chance, even if all they do is listen and let you know how the process works and give advice. They may remember you later when you re-apply for a transfer.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

I'm not sure about the commerce dept, but probably the course coordinator if you can find them. Never just talk to the admin person (likely to be the first person who picks up the phone).
That wouldn't help at all.

Speaking from the perspective of somone that works in uni admin, it wont make a difference depending on the faculty of study. The way the system runs is that different people within a uni have very specific responsibilities (and boundaries). So, if you want to get into the university to study, you talk to the admin people.

Other than that, if you miss the cutoff, then unfortunately the best they could do for you if you don't receive an offer is inform you alternative pathway programs to get into the uni.

piitb

HSC

hahaha what the hell u think this is? you cant call up and scab a few uai points. that just isnt done, probably be considered unethical.

save yourself dignity and just wait for uac results

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

That wouldn't help at all.

Speaking from the perspective of somone that works in uni admin, it wont make a difference depending on the faculty of study. The way the system runs is that different people within a uni have very specific responsibilities (and boundaries). So, if you want to get into the university to study, you talk to the admin people.

Other than that, if you miss the cutoff, then unfortunately the best they could do for you if you don't receive an offer is inform you alternative pathway programs to get into the uni.
No it wouldn't help if you're expecting them to simply shift you to the top of the waiting list just from one simple phone call, if that's what you're implying. And no, that was not what I was saying if you read my post.

If you miss the cutoff, you miss the cutoff, and if you read what I posted above, I was referring to speaking to someone who is aware of the system and someone who is part of the decision-making process, and someone who can give some real advice (for eg. alternative entry such as transferring, as I mentioned above) as opposed to someone who just picks up the phone at the reception desk and can just give immovable "yes" or "no" answers, more or less. By 'admin people' as I said above, I'm referring to the admin people who answer the phone.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has worked as academic staff and having also been involved in a coordination and decision-making role at a top tier university, I know not only what the hard and fast rules are, but also the read-between-the-lines bend-the-rules circumstances that can sometimes, on the rare occasion, happen behind closed doors. And all I can say is, it doesn't hurt to call and if you're able to get the right person, even if all they can do is give you helpful advice for next time, it's worth the call. As I said, they may remember you the next time you want re-apply or transfer.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

No it wouldn't help if you're expecting them to simply shift you to the top of the waiting list just from one simple phone call, if that's what you're implying. And no, that was not what I was saying if you read my post.

If you miss the cutoff, you miss the cutoff, and if you read what I posted above, I was referring to speaking to someone who is aware of the system and someone who is part of the decision-making process, and someone who can give some real advice (for eg. alternative entry such as transferring, as I mentioned above) as opposed to someone who just picks up the phone at the reception desk and can just give immovable "yes" or "no" answers, more or less. By 'admin people' as I said above, I'm referring to the admin people who answer the phone.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has worked as academic staff and having also been involved in a coordination and decision-making role at a top tier university, I know not only what the hard and fast rules are, but also the read-between-the-lines bend-the-rules circumstances that can sometimes, on the rare occasion, happen behind closed doors. And all I can say is, it doesn't hurt to call and if you're able to get the right person, even if all they can do is give you helpful advice for next time, it's worth the call. As I said, they may remember you the next time you want re-apply or transfer.
In terms of where I work, the 'admin' staff do give the 'real advice', they don't just answer calls and transfer people. Their jobs are to understand uni policies from all angles to provide the right advice to students/potentials. That's the whole point of having them, and why they are trained so extensively.

Universities are bureaucratic institutions by design, for obvious reasons. This means that unless there are extenuating circumstances surrounding cases, you don't stand much chance in pushing it up the chain (for admissions especially).

Whilst I agree that sometimes students dont get the full details on all options available to them, in the context of the thread starters situation, I still don't think there is anything that he can do to increase his chances of entry.

Given that he most definately wouldn't have been the first unsuccessful student to ask this question, the admissions teams at the different uni's across Melbourne would recognise that around this time of the year, they are going to get these kind of enquiries.

Ultimately I agree with you though, it certainly wouldn't hurt for him to call up and get confirmation of his options, but he just shouldn't expect a rabbit to be pulled from the hat for him.

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

You have to assume that he won't be Robinson Crusoe in this situation too. Just like NSW students who miss out on their preferences will be on Thursday morning.

Admin staff will have seen this all before and should be able to fob them off diplomatically.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A

Admin staff will have seen this all before and should be able to fob them off diplomatically.
That's right, that's exactly what I mean by the admin staff who give immovable "yes" or "no" answers.

Roguedeth

HSC

can try but it's unlikely you'll receive a second round offer as melbourne rarely sends them out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)