• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Metabolism FAQS (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

Oh hi kids. Today we're going to learn some fun facts about salmon, and a brand new metabolic dance.

Oh hey, what is 'metabolism'?

I'm glad you asked. A metabolism is a set of chemical reactions that are required to maintain 'life'. Metabolism is broken into anabolism and catabolism, but we wont worry about that.
Your basal metabolic rate is the amount of energy you expel whilst at 'rest'.

I'm fat coz I've got a slow metabolism..Or I'm skinny coz I have a fast one
Most credible scientists will tell you that the link between a fast metabolism and a skinny physique is negligible.
Infact a larger person by definition should have a faster metabolism because it takes more energy for their body to maintain basic vital functions. Skinny doesn't necessarily mean healthy. The more lean muscle you have the higher your metabolism will be, but this doesn't necessarily mean a skinny person has a fast metabolism. You can be skinny and still have a lot of body fat. Fat uses less energy than muscle. ;)

What does all of this mean?
Don't be confused. Your metabolism is an important factor in weight management. If you eat more than your caloric requirement (calories being the energy required to power your metabolism) then you will gain weight. But don't be mislead into thinking if you eat less you'll lose weight. Your body will gradually get used to the lower calorie intake and as a consequence your BMR will also decrease. As you gradually lose weight, your body will need less energy to operate anyway and any further weightloss attempts will become stagnant!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
katie_tully said:
I'm glad you asked. A metabolism is a set of chemical reactions that are required to maintain 'life'. Metabolism is broken into anabolism and catabolism, but we wont worry about that.
Your basal metabolic rate is the amount of energy you expel whilst at 'rest'.

Figure 1: Example of a slow catabolism :D

K

katie_tully

it's the mose over used statement on the planet

'i'm so skinny coz ive got a superfast metabolism!'

:(

HSC
katie_tully said:
it's the mose over used statement on the planet

'i'm so skinny coz ive got a superfast metabolism!'

:(
you gotta read between the lines: "i'm so skinny cause i do a SHITLOAD of coke"

godbless you kate moss. godbless

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
"Metabolism FAQs"
Do people frequently ask questions about metabolism? If so, lucky theres this thread.

Anyway, for people who are naturally skinny, is there an easy way to gain weight? ... Which does not include eating Mcdonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Nat3skiz

HSC
your.knee said:
"Metabolism FAQs"
Do people frequently ask questions about metabolism? If so, lucky theres this thread.

Anyway, for people who are naturally skinny, is there an easy way to gain weight? ... Which does not include eating Mcdonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
theres already a thread on that particular question.

NinjaSauce

HSC
Thats why there is a photo of it, Green Leaf.

The 23 inch waist cat has been eaten, we didn't have time to capture it.

Duh!

:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)